Ok, I've got some fresh-from-the-camera demos of the new saber collision system I'm working on. It's in the very early stages but you'll be able to see the improved collisions if you watch carefully.
The new saber system is something that you gotta experience to truely get the "feel" of it. These aren't the best of demos. They were done on impulse to show the community that JK2 isn't dead and can still be a fun game.
As of now, the major issues are:
1. Sabers often aren't stopped or deflected by a impact. That means that sabers often pass thru bodies/walls/sabers/etc even with the better collisions.
2. Body hits get an automatic blocking "roll". This works ok when you've got boxes for a body and a saber but with polygon collisions is looks stupid. You'll OFTEN hit the body and have it act like a saber block.
Both problems are going to require some serious work to fix. I've got a plan of action but it's going to take some time to do right.
Kyle Vs. Desann
Luke Vs. Vader
I personally feel the K vs D demo shows the saber system better.
Oh yeah, some of you probably haven't run a demo before. Here is how:
1. d/l demo.
2. place the demo in the /gameData/base/demos dir of your JK2 directory. if you have never run or recorded a demo in vanilla JK2, you'll probably need to creat this folder.
3. Start up JK2 in multiplayer mode.
4. open the console (shift+~)
5. Type in demo demoname
. the demo will load up and play.
NOTE: pressing any key while watching a demo will cause it to stop and exit to the main menu.