Old 09-22-2003, 02:42 AM   #2
ChangKhan[RAVEN]
Raven Software

???

I take it you want some guidance? The main thing you need is this:

a .veh file
a .npc file
a *rider tag

Actually, that's about all you need (especially for non-animating vehicles like swoops and TIE-Fighters). If you want it to have exhaust and be able to fire weapons, you need some extra tags like

*exhaust1
*exhaust2
*muzzle1
*muzzle2
etc...

The best way to see all of this is to look at an example. The .veh files are in ext_data/vehicles. The .npc files are in ext_data/npcs. Both are editable with any text program. The vehicle model is in the models/players directory in the folder specified in the .veh file. The vehicle model is viewable with our ModView model viewer program. I suggest checking all of these files out to see how it all goes together.

A good guide to the .veh files is the template.veh file in ext_data/vehicles. It explains what each field does.

The same goes for vehicle weapon files (.vwp files) in ext_data/vehicles/weapons. Check out the template for an explanation.

All you really need is a vehicle model (in .glm format) that's the proper scale and has the right tags. Someone could easily make an A-Wing or TIE Interceptor vehicle if they already have a model to use. MilkShape can import tons of model types and export an md3. You can then load the md3 in MD3View and export it from there as a .glm (ghoul2 model).

As for animal-type vehicles, all you need is the .npc, .veh, *rider tag and proper anims. You don't need to make all-new anims, you can just re-map existing anims to the needed vehicle anims. Check out the rancor and wampa animation.cfg files to see how I did this, as a test (note the rancor and wampa vehicle files - there are no rancor and wampa vehicles in the game, but I did those as a test to see how easy it is to make new animal-type vehicles). Using this method, you could convert any of our NPCs into a vehicle (imagine riding a droid or Stormtrooper around!)...

Once you've made your own vehicle, you can place one in the map by placing an NPC_Vehicle and setting it's NPC_type to the .npc file's name of the NPC vehicle. Or you can spawn it from the console by typing:

\npc spawn vehicle <npc vehicle name>

Without the "<" and ">"...

Good luck and have fun!

Michael Chang Gummelt
Game Programmer
Jedi Academy
Raven Software
ChangKhan[RAVEN] is offline   you may: quote & reply,