View Single Post
Old 11-25-2003, 09:38 PM   #21
SkinWalker
Anthropologist

LFN Staff Member 
Quote:
Originally posted by Master_Keralys
Homosexuality is not natural.
It occurs with relative frequency in nature, i.e. primates & dolphins (and these are advanced mammals compared to other animals).

Quote:
It's not.
Based on what evidence? My evidence says it is.

Quote:
Regardless of what the left says, it is mostly behavioral.
The left of what? To let this settle into a left versus right dichotomy is inaccurate and ignores critical thought processes.

Quote:
If it wasn't, people couldn't be "cured", so to speak.
Show some evidence of a "cure," and I'll start listening to what you have to say on this... until then, you're only stating an opinion or hope.

Quote:
In other words, though people may struggle occasionally with homosexuality after turning away from it, they overall are capable of moving on and having normal, loving, heterosexual relationships.
How do you know? What empirical evidence do you base that assumption on.

Quote:
It's an excellent point about the length of relationships. Actually, studies have shown that most gays/lesbians don't stay together very long at all. Actually, the maximum most homosexual couples stay together is two years; many are together much less.
I'm interested in reading this study, can you cite a referance?

Quote:
And most don't want marriage. Why bother, when you can get all that and not have to deal with the legal issues?
Because there are certain rights that are missing, which include the right to make decisions regarding children and inherit estates as well as simply file taxes. Among many, many others that legal marriage entails.

Quote:
It is the extreme left that is pushing for legalization of gay marriage, because it suits their agenda.
That's a cop out explanation. Why does it suit their agenda? Human rights? Shouldn't that be on the agenda?

Quote:
Now, I'm not saying it's a conspiracy or anything, just as the conservatives don't have a conspiracy against homosexuals.

Some might disagree. There is a proportionally large number of conservative right that is comprised of the so-called "moral majority" or "christian right." These extremists seek to oppress homosexual behavior in remarkably similar ways as they once did blacks in this country.

Quote:
The thing is, though, that the extreme left doesn't like the traditional family, because the traditional family represents traditional values and ideas, which are in direct opposition to the leftist agenda.
More political bull**** about a dichotomy... this kind of thinking from both the so-called left and the so-called right is ruining our country. People don't think for themselves any more, but trade their critical thinking for the views of those that are like them. They create an other to unify their group. Like the old man said... "the thing about that little purple thing in chicken crap is... it's chicken crap too."

Quote:
All religious issues aside, homosexual relationships are not marriage, unless we completely redefine the word.
Things change all the time in dictionaries. The English language is influanced by the society.

Quote:
Also, in a more practical sense - who are we to think that we can overturn what every civilization has said?!!! No major civilization has approved of homosexuality except in its decadence. Rather, all societies spurn it for the simple reason that it is not natural.
We covered the "natural" part. Most major civilizations also approved of slavery at some point in their histories... people used to be stoned to death for adultery... castes and classes once precluded many from education or employment opportunities...

It's called progress.

Quote:
It's not really biological either. The studies showing ...
What studies. Cite some references, please.

What amazes me is that in the year 2003, there are still those that think homosexuals choose their "lifestyles." A look at history will show that homosexuality has been in existance for as long as history has been recorded and, based on primate studies, probably before we had culture. It also amazes me that there are those who are willing to make a dichotomy out of this issue: Left versus Right.

The bottom line is, there is no legitimate reason to prohibit the marriage of two people of the same gender. Tradition isn't a good enough reason, that it's not natural fails as an explanation, that the world might not continue to be populated fails, that god is against it doesn't even deserve consideration in a modern secular society, and that the traditional family will break down doesn't work either. That happened in the 1970's.

For a supposedly advanced society like ours, we certainly can be barbaric and savage when it comes to human rights.

A Hot Cup of Joe - My Blog

Not finding an intellectual challenge in the Swamp? Try the Senate Chambers!

Evolution and How We Know It's Right - Post your thoughts!
Debate Strategies & Tactics - Polish your online debate skills and offer your own advice
SkinWalker is offline   you may: quote & reply,