View Single Post
Old 12-04-2003, 12:42 AM   #43
SkinWalker
Anthropologist

LFN Staff Member 
Quote:
Originally posted by Master_Keralys
The one father, one mother family is a tried and true structure that's been embraced for most cultures for millenia.
Really? The so-called nuclear family with a mother, father and 2.5 children is actually a product of Western consumer capitalism of the last 50 or so years. Most families in most of the world's cultures throughout history have depended upon familial extensions: i.e. grandparents, cousins, aunts, uncles, in-laws, etc. The ideal type family with one mother, one father is definately not "tried and true" or "embraced for most cultures for millenia."

Quote:
Deviation from it can have disastrous effects on the culture.
The evidence doesn't bear this out one way or the other.

Quote:
Moreover, in looking at gay/lesbian couples (I think I said this earlier), most of them don't want marriage. Actually, most of their relationships only last a few months, and I think it's less than ten percent that say they were actually entirely faithful to their partner for two years or more - if not that, then it's close. Now, if that's true, why is there such a huge movement to legalize marriage for them?
It probably isn't true. You've quoted this set of statistics before but without citation. In fact, it's starting to look as though you are quoting "facts" that you want to be true that might fit your model.

Quote:
Don't ask me why, but these are the people that have pushed for an absolute removal of Christianity from every aspect of life. Christians try to present a certain perspective and are called bigots. Christians try to call for morality and are called "old-fashioned" or "behind the times". The people I'm talking about have a greater interest in eradicating Christian morality than in advancing others' rights.
Perhaps this is progress of human culture. As we become a more enlightened and technologically advanced species, our reliance on cults like Christianity, Islam, Hinduism, etc. might come to an end. Many people are simply finding religion to be useless as a means for creating rules for society, particularly those cults that are unyielding and counter-progressive. People should, of course, be free to practice whatever religion they feel is appropriate, if any, but these religions should be prohibited from being involved with matters of state, government or national policy.

Quote:
My point is, where's the line? Where do we get the prerogative to throw out not centuries, but literally many millennia of morality?
Why not continue to stone adulterers to death then?

A Hot Cup of Joe - My Blog

Not finding an intellectual challenge in the Swamp? Try the Senate Chambers!

Evolution and How We Know It's Right - Post your thoughts!
Debate Strategies & Tactics - Polish your online debate skills and offer your own advice
SkinWalker is offline   you may: quote & reply,