View Single Post
Old 12-09-2003, 02:19 AM   #112
ShockV1.89
Gen Mo'Kai

Quote:
James Madison, the fourth president, known as "The Father of Our Constitution" made the following statement "We have staked the whole of all our political institutions upon the capacity of mankind for self-government, upon the capacity of each and all of us to govern ourselves, to control ourselves, to sustain ourselves according to the Ten Commandments of God."
Yes, and the author of the Declaration of Independence and major contributor to the Consitution, Thomas Jefferson, was a Deist, not a Christian. The "natures god" he mentiones in "Declaration" was supposed to apply to the Gods of all religions. It was as broad as possible, so more people would take it seriously.

Quote:
Patrick Henry, that patriot and Founding Father of our country said, "It cannot be emphasized too strongly or too often that this great nation was founded not by religionists but by Christians, not on religions but on the Gospel of Jesus Christ".
Many of the founding fathers were Deists, not Christians.

Quote:
Thomas Jefferyson worried that the Courts would overstep their authority and instead of interpreting the law would begin making law....an oligarchy...the rule of few over many.
How does this apply to the debate at hand?

Quote:
The very first Supreme Court Justice, John Jay, said, "Americans should select and prefer Christians as their rulers."
Then he was wrong. Americans should select and prefer the best candidates for the job as their rulers. Religion should not be a factor. Ones status as a Christian cannot be any indicator of his qualifications, as history has shown Christians to be just as capable of gross error and wrongdoing as any non-christian.

You can't simply quote someone who happened to be old and speak long ago and end it there. George Washington and John Jay have just as much the capability to be wrong as you and I.

"Not all one pleads can be granted. But a good hearing soothes the heart." -The Instruction of Ptah-hotep.

"So here I go, it's my shot. Feet fail me not. This may be the only opportunity that I got..." -Eminem
ShockV1.89 is offline   you may: quote & reply,