View Single Post
Old 01-16-2004, 09:57 PM   #6
rccar328
Forumite

I must agree...education is the key to a sucessful democracy. This can especially be evidenced by the current political specrum in the United States. I have heard time and time again people crying out against President Bush in a kind of ignorant passion that bewilders me. After the recall of Gray Davis (I live in CA), I had a very short debate with a classmate over who "should" have been voted in as governor - A conservative, I voted for Tom McClintock, the conservative candidate. He voted for Cruz Bustamante. When I pressed him for a reason for his vote, I got little more than "Bustamante's better."

The same goes for the current presidential race. Time and time again I hear candidates running on the platform of, "I'm better than everybody else" and "Bush is evil, miserable failure, gang leader, etc," but I have yet to hear any candidate offer a positive vision for the United States...and yet people follow them.

And now to restrain myself in order to stay on topic...

The reason that so many candidates go against the views of the people who vote for them is because the people either do not vote, or they vote through ignorant passion. A democratic system depends on a sense of civic duty - for America, we have a duty to serve for jury duty, register for the draft, and to be educated on candidates and issues before voting. Civic duty is what maintains any democratic system. Democracy is "power to the people," but when the people do not maintain their government properly, it is the people's fault when the government falls apart.
rccar328 is offline   you may: quote & reply,