View Single Post
Old 03-08-2004, 02:15 AM   #37
wassup

Quote:
Originally posted by MennoniteHobbit
Yes, I do agree that the victims' families have the right to protest the commercials, but President Bush is not trying to hurt them. He is merely saying that he helped us. Also, not all of the 9/11 victims' families are in distaste for Bush's ads. Some of them are ok with them.
Who knows what he is trying to say. The key issue here is that the families are not comfortable with the ads on TV so they have the right (through legal action if neccessary) to take them off the air. There is so far not anything like this against Kerry and Vietnam, so those ads can still be run. Put ratings on the Bush ads or only air them during a certain time, but something needs to be done to comply with the famalies' requests. The Bush adminstration is ignoring the voice and consent of the people they are supposed to serve.

Quote:
Originally posted by MennoniteHobbit

Also, the President is not in direct control of the economy, though his plans for it do influence it. Right? I would be interested to know how the economy would be after 9/11 if Gore or Kerry was President.
It is correct the economy is not entirely controlled by the executive. The Federal Reserve and the Stock Market have significant roles in running the economy, and they may not neccessarily be influenced by the agenda of the Bush adminstration. However, The President does appoint a Cabinet, or group of advisors, to oversee many major aspects of the country. The Cabinet members are influenced by the agenda of Bush and the Republican party, otherwise they will be replaced. As ET Warrior said, the state of the economy suggests that they have (a) done little to improve it or (b) are only just beginning to seriously plan what to do with the weak economy and jobless rate since the past few years have gone by. Seems like while the shepherd has gone out to hunt the wolf, he has forgotten to tend the sheep. (ok that was a really bad analogy...)

Also rccar, you may feel this "Bush-bashing" is getting repetitive, but sooner or later we will have to face the real facts (and failures) of this adminstration, so I suggest embracing this change.

Last edited by wassup; 03-08-2004 at 02:34 AM.
wassup is offline   you may: quote & reply,