View Single Post
Old 03-08-2004, 03:30 AM   #38
SkinWalker
Anthropologist

LFN Staff Member 
Quote:
Originally posted by MennoniteHobbit
Yes, I do agree that the victims' families have the right to protest the commercials, but President Bush is not trying to hurt them.

No, of course he isn't. But he's coming off as condescending and insensitive as ever, not to mention out-of-touch with his voters. Personally, I hope he keeps running ads with 9/11 imagery.

Quote:
Also, not all of the 9/11 victims' families are in distaste for Bush's ads. Some of them are ok with them.

Apparently 22 of them are okay with it. See one of the links I posted above.

Quote:
I would be interested to know how the economy would be after 9/11 if Gore or Kerry was President.

I'm amazed at the spurious correlation that is consistently made by those to lazy to do a little critical thinking. 3,000 or so lives were lost in 9/11. Undeniably the single largest act of homicide ever committed in the United States. But consider that "more than 41,000 people in the United States die in motor vehicle crashes each year (CDC, 2004)."

One could argue that the 3k lives of 9/11 weren't the only ones affected and that relatives and other businesses were temporarily displaced as well.

But that argument doesn't hold up since the 41k lives lost each year to motor vehicle accidents also had families and many were business owners.

One could argue that many businesses were directly affected as they couldn't do business after the loss of the WTC's physical plant. But in a capitalistic society businesses rebound from such catastrophes. I would hazard to guess that real estate in the area of the WTC is still expensive and that business is thriving. I would hazard to guess that the businesses that existed within the WTC have largely relocated and are in operation.

Did 9/11 and the destruction of the WTC affect the economy? Without a doubt. But it didn't affect the economy in the way that Conservative Republican Apologetists would have us believe. Our economy can withstand the loss of even 3k lives and the businesses associated with a couple of large buildings.

What our economy has trouble dealing with, however, is a trillion dollar deficit and unfair tax advantages for the wealthy while the under-privilaged get enough tax incentive to buy a week's worth of groceries and see a movie. A trillion dollar deficit + billions of dollars fighting the wrong enemy is not a worthwhile reason to tank the economy.

Fire Bush. Elect Kerry so we can get it straight.

CDC (2/17/04). Community-Based Interventions to Reduce Motor Vehicle-Related Injuries: Evidence of Effectiveness from Systematic Reviews. Centers for Disease Control.

A Hot Cup of Joe - My Blog

Not finding an intellectual challenge in the Swamp? Try the Senate Chambers!

Evolution and How We Know It's Right - Post your thoughts!
Debate Strategies & Tactics - Polish your online debate skills and offer your own advice
SkinWalker is offline   you may: quote & reply,