View Single Post
Old 06-19-2004, 07:08 AM   #35
Noxrepere

Quote:
Originally posted by ET Warrior
No, that has nothing to do with anything. His post was about how they went through and disallowed anyone with the same name as a former convict to vote. It was a big deal in the news coverage of the crap happening in Florida, a LOT of people were denied the ability to vote even though they weren't actually convicted felons, they just shared a same name.
Quote:
Originally posted by Noxrepere
I’m not sure about the accuracy of the complaint about felon name confusion, but even if that were true that wouldn’t specifically favor one candidate over another because having the same name as a felon does not immediately mean that you would vote for Gore. Also, when people register to vote, I believe they use their Social Security number to register and since that is unique for every individual, even if you did have the same name as a felon your SS would still be different. Having the exact same name as a felon seems like it would be incredibly rare anyways, and as I said, it wouldn’t favor one party over the other if people with the same name weren’t allowed to vote.
Sorry about the quote. What I meant to say was:

Quote:
Secondly are you implying that the majority of people with the same names as convicts would vote Democrat?
Sorry for any confusion.

Would all of those people, then, not have received a sample ballot prior to the election if they had been removed from the list?

Wouldn't that have been a problem in prior elections rather than just, coincidentally, the 2000 presidential election?

Like I said, I'm not sure about the accuracy of that name complaint. I believe registering to vote requires more than just your name.

Also, that seems a little odd that those 10's of thousands of people would not only happen to have the same names as convicted felons and as such, not be allowed to vote according to what you said about the names, but also, coincidentally, be predominantly black and poor, and would have voted considerably more for Gore.
Noxrepere is offline   you may: quote & reply,