View Single Post
Old 09-02-2004, 11:37 PM   #1
daltysmilth
Rookie

No politics (and I'm glad)

I have to say that out of all the forums I frequent, this is one of only two where the members don't frequently engage in political debate. And I'm glad. It's nice to know that there exist places where I won't run into angry people saying hateful things about people they disagree with. That's the other great thing about this forum, that when people disagree with each other, they're courteous about it. On other forums when two members disagree, it almost always degrades into "Shut up, (bad word)head! Only a total (other bad word)head like you would think that way!" And the other person responds, "Oh yeah? Well (really bad word) you and all your children!" But here, when a person disagrees with someone else, they say "I disagree" or "I don't know about that" and the like, and then they'll give the reasons why they disagree.

So I think that if we do discuss politics, we should confine ourselves to discussing politics that occured before 1960.
To give examples of good and bad topics:

James K. Polk's accomplishments and faults during his Presidency: Right

Jimmy Carter being attacked by a swimming rabbit: Wrong

The Hawley-Smoot Tarriff: Right

Any mention of "Star Wars" that does not refer to the franchise owned by George Lucas: Wrong

What do you say?

"So Brak, is that Polish? Or... no I suppose it wouldn't be."
--Mike Nelson- MST3K: the Movie
daltysmilth is offline   you may: quote & reply,