I agree it is horrible that saddam as a dictator was opressing and killing people. if that was the case the US would have taken over Iraq over 10 years ago when it invaded Kuwait.
They didn't because:
- There was no good succesor for Saddam
- Iraq was succesfully 'contained' by other countries
- We have seen how it has destabilised the area
- There ARE no links between Al-queda and Saddam
- Militants would rised up and oppose any non-muslim force that occupid the country
They they could have invaded Iraq after:
- reciving Full support of the UN
- When The invading forces were lead by the UN
- A consise plan was developed before the invasion for developing a governement and giving soverignty to Iraq as soon as possible
- Train soldiers and workers to help fight and rebuild for a new Iraq
By invading Iraq and occupying it, the US has given all of the Al-queda members, and new recruits something to hate and 'defend' against.
we all know people are much more fanatical when defending, then when attacking