View Single Post
Old 12-24-2004, 09:41 AM   #32
Wilhuf

Kramerika, Jetstream (and anyone else who wants to reply of course), is there any particular benefit to running the SWBF dedicated server as a Windows service? Or running it without the basic GUI? What kind of CPU savings are you getting by running it without the GUI?

I am averaging 6.6% of CPU empty (with 16 bots) with GUI. (Presumably my CPU use would be even lower without bots.)

As far as the crashes go, XEvilWyvernX, I recommend the obvious. Just run SWBF from a GUI. You are probably not gaining enough in saved CPU cycles to justify the hassle of crashes.

Meanwhile can anyone recommend the best flavor of linux? I am thinking about getting Red Hat once Pandemic publishes the SWBF server binaries. Is there a particular flavor that is most popular/successful/compatible for game servers?

Wilhuf

Never give in--never, never, never, never, in nothing great or small, large or petty, never give in except to convictions of honour and good sense. Never yield to force; never yield to the apparently overwhelming might of the enemy.

Winston Churchill, 1941.
Wilhuf is offline   you may: quote & reply,