Thread: New Computer
View Single Post
Old 02-12-2005, 10:27 AM   #37
DrMcCoy

Current Game: nethack
10 year veteran! Forum Veteran 
Quote:
Originally posted by Thrik
I don't mind Linux users. In fact, I speak to loads of them on a daily basis. But what really irritates me are those that feel the need to constantly pipe on about how superior it is to Windows.
...Meh, I wasn't serious... I really don't mind if people use Windows, it just doesn't suit my needs...

Quote:
Seriously, Linux is probably one of the most non user-friendly operating systems around.
...Linux is user-friendly... It's just not idiot-friendly... And it's a bit picky about who it calls a friends...

Quote:
Even the GUIs that attempt to make it look remotely respectable are absolutely horrible, demonstrated to an epic degree in the screendumps in your first post, McCoy.
...I don't care about the looks, I need it functional, therefore I use enlightenment and ratpoison or only the console... If I would want it to look pretty, I would have used GNOME or KDE (or any of the other thousands Windowmanager/Environments)... With Linux, you've got the choice to let it look and feel how you want it...

Quote:
Whilst I can appreciate that explorer is a fairly ugly shell, there are alternatives out there which completely piss all over anything that Linux has to offer.
...The Total Commander (used to be called "Windows Commander"), for example, is a nice windows application.. Or the Servant Salamander... And for Linux, there are dozens of similar things...
...But I still rather use a shell, I can do far more with it...

Quote:
Not only that, but Windows does pretty much anything that most users could ever want.
...For my liking, it does far too much, it thinks it's smarter than the user and I hate that...
...But if that's what users want, they can easily try a SuSE distribution, it does the same...

Quote:
Seriously, I cannot think of anything that I could possibly want in a computer that isn't already offered by Windows. If you can name anything, I'll quite happily change my opinion.
...How about not having problems with virii, trojans and such? How about not hearing the lies comming out of Bill Gates' mouth? How about dozens of thousands of free (free as in speech) apps? How about having control? How about having the choice?

Quote:
Windows also has the huge advantage of being simple enough for people with minimal computer experience to install and use.
...Ever tried letting your grandma or any other computer inexperient user install windows? It's a hell, they can't...
...And I'm one of the administrators in our school, we've got Windows 2000 on each computer (+ the options to boot a Linux Terminal), guess how many people fail to Log on in Windows using their name and password... Or have problems changing the font size with Word... Or something stupid like that...
I'm not saying it'll be different if they would have used Linux (they won't), there's simply no "idiot-proof" programm/OS...

Quote:
I just find it infuriating when those same people try to play the superiority card and make out that Windows is a genuinely bad operating system.
...Again: It was a joke...

if(!strcmp(nick, "DrMcCoy") && !strcmp(avatar, "Spock")) return E_INSANE;
DrMcCoy is offline   you may: quote & reply,