(There is a separate version of this utility adapted to work with Jade Empire as well. See this thread to find it.)
EDIT: While TalkEd was made as a helper application for the TSLPatcher I figured it might be worthy of its own thread since it can be used as a stand-alone TLK file editor as well.
TalkEd is a dialog.tlk (or any TLK v3.0 file for that matter) editor that works with both KotOR1 and TSL. It can add new entries to a TLK file and edit or delete existing ones. It can create new TLK files from scratch or edit existing ones, and is capable of merging two TLK files together.
In addition it can be used to search among the entries in a TLK file for matches to a number of criteria.
(Dialog.tlk is the file that contains all the standard text strings in the game. It also links sound files to certain text strings.)
* * *
In a sudden burst of inspiration I finished a whole bunch of things I had planned for TalkEd but never gotten around to. I have uploaded the resulting TalkEd v1.0.4b version here
What has changed in this version? Some things off the top of my head:
- It now keeps track of the file it has loaded and can save it without every time popping up a Save dialog asking you to name the file.
- You can doubleclick an entry in the grid to edit it without having to use the Menu or keyboard shortcut.
- It will only warn about closing a file or the application if you've actually made changes to that file.
- Added a "drag thing" (what are they called?) between the grid and the text display box, making them independently resizable.
- Added displaying sound Resrefs for an entry in a separate column in the main listing.
- Added new search filter to only list entries which has a sound file referenced.
- Added new command in the Tools menu to delete TLK entries.
- Added new command in the Tools menu to mass-add blank padding entries.
- Fixed some minor bugs I discovered.
- Lots of minor interface annoyances making it a little easier to work with.
Since my programming skills leaves a lot to be desired I'm sure there are still a bug or two which I haven't spotted during my testing. As such this is still considered a beta version. If anyone uses this and spots any problems, please let me know.