View Single Post
Old 10-05-2005, 06:08 PM   #49
zerted
Click Center of Circle: O

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurgan
...However LucasArts/Pandemic setup the beta test in the first place. Before we started using batch files, how did they setup the servers for people to start joining? That's what I mean. Or did they just hand them out to random people and say "run a server for us"? I doubt that!
That actually sounds like it could be the entire pc SWBF community (there's barely a hundred people on at any given time spread out over 26 servers). Kudos!
PS: ASE only shows 69 beta testers on right now, on six servers... four in the US and two in Germany. That can't be right?? Though I see you in your own private server right now!
LucasArts most likely had the command line arguments working first, to setup any any servers. Or, early on and having access to the soure code, hard coded in all the variables needed for the servers. The first user interface for creating servers would have been the command line interface.

TAW does not have me.

What is ASE?

When I had my servers running, I had three going at a time. Anyone who was on it want to say if it was laggy?

(I may not agree with thoughts posted under this name)
Looking for a mature clan? Checkout www.rdhclan.net
email/PM me for more info
zerted is offline   you may: quote & reply,