View Single Post
Old 11-03-2005, 10:09 PM   #31
JofaGuht

Japanese noir: Seijun Suzuki does it great. If you have the time, watch Pistol Opera, the first half is somewhat uninteresting but it's worth it for the latter half.

I'm a pretty big Japanese horror fan. You saw on my list "Odishon" which is a very deep but very disturbing Japanese horror film by Takashi Miike.

Seriously though; what you need is David Lynch, who is one of my favorite filmmakers. He will guide you through his cinema like one of those magnet-mazes. His films have a Noir quality but are still much deeper than that.

I would start with Lost Highway. WATCH LOST HIGHWAY. You will not be disappointed.

Then I would try Blue Velvet, which is very different but very full. It's got some over-the-top moments but it is still very effective.

You like Un Chien Andalou? Eraserhead is its very absurd sequel. Eraserhead will show you Lynch at his most abstract.

Then, if you can find the time, rent the first season of Twin Peaks. You don't need to watch the second. Then, see Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me which, to this day, is my favorite, and for me the most emotionally impacting, film ever. (Do NOT view the film before the first season of the series though).

Anyway, I've got a list of Fav. Filmmakers in an order but not a good one (it's hard to organize them).

1. Terry Gilliam (Brazil, Fear & Loathing in Las Vegas)
2. David Lynch (Twin Peaks: Fire Walk with Me, Lost Highway)
3. Stanley Kubrick (uhh....who needs a filmography for this guy?)
4. Joss Whedon (Buffy/Angel, Firefly/Serenity)
5. Richard Linklater (Before Sunset, Waking Life)
6. Takashi Miike (Odison, Gozu)

Obviously movies are very important to me. I plan to make them someday.

There's no earthly way of knowing which direction we are going. There's no knowing where we're rowing or which way the river's flowing. Is it raining? Is it snowing? Is a hurricane a-blowing? Not a speck of light is showing, so the danger must be growing. Are the fires of hell a-glowing? Is the grisly reaper mowing? Yes, the danger must be growing 'cause the rowers keep on rowing, and they're certainly not showing any signs that they are slowing. AAAGGHHH!!!
JofaGuht is offline   you may: