Thread: Future?
View Single Post
Old 11-22-2005, 02:11 PM   #7
JofaGuht

But it might not necessarily mean the end of the world. It's just the creschendo and "event horizon" of Novelty. It could mean the end of the world, but there could be many results from having so much growth at once there is no longer growth. Could mean the end of the spiral; could also mean the spiral will turn into a line.

Terence McKenna was a pretty smart guy...I've agreed with many of his theories. But there's been wonderfully intellegent people who've worked with theories that have meant absolutely nothing. And he did often say that he hopes and does not disregard the possibility that he's completely wrong, but then again the theory was strong enough that he kept it with him for twenty years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Virus
How many times do I have to say this: I am not a pessimist, I am a realist!
You have to say that as many times I've called someone else a pessimist and they came up with the exact same response. (Mind you, this is with simpler topics, such as "if we drive downtown tonight we're all gonna die." which is much more absurd, no?)

Quote:
The glass may be half empty for me, but the world ain't getting any better.
It's not necessarily getting any worse either. There's always been "ebbs and flows" when it comes to the state of the world. Times when it's awful, and times when there's more hope than war, and creativity and technology leans toward the side of good. Now, we're in an awful phase, but the world's gone through worse.

Quote:
Once again, you'll have to wait for a clear explanation of my views (i.e. tomorrow)
Shall look forward.

There's no earthly way of knowing which direction we are going. There's no knowing where we're rowing or which way the river's flowing. Is it raining? Is it snowing? Is a hurricane a-blowing? Not a speck of light is showing, so the danger must be growing. Are the fires of hell a-glowing? Is the grisly reaper mowing? Yes, the danger must be growing 'cause the rowers keep on rowing, and they're certainly not showing any signs that they are slowing. AAAGGHHH!!!
JofaGuht is offline   you may: quote & reply,