Thread: Future?
View Single Post
Old 11-25-2005, 08:45 PM   #11
El Virus

Location: On a route of many roads leading from nowhere to nothing
*I’ve been influenced by many of P.K. Dick’s books. His novels depict the world wich (though extreme and somehow satirical expressions) do not seem impossible (far fetched, maybe). Whether it is “The Penultimate Thruth”, having people living in underground tunnels, due to alleged radiation after the Cold War; “A Scanner Darkly”, having rich people living at huge complexes & attending different places only for them and margined citizens (feared by the first) trying to get in these; or even “Blade Runner” (Original book is “Do androids dream of electric sheep?”), on which androids need to be killed after a certain amount of time, for they are too human-like. Anywho, you get my point…

** Not many people are aware of the fact that satellites and probes are powered by plutonium, a highly radioactive material that has the power to alter genes, cause mutations and ultimately snuff out the life of anything it contacts, a small package of plutonium, about five to seven pounds in weight, has the killing strength to destroy all life on Earth, even more frightening is the fact that plutonium remains lethal for thousands of years.
An example of its danger:
NASA admits, in its Final Environmental Impact Statement for the Cassini Mission, that if the probe does not come in at 496 miles high-- if it dips down after hundreds of millions of miles in space into the Earth's 75-mile high atmosphere and makes an "inadvertent reentry"-- it will break up. The Environmental Impact Statement concedes that Plutonium will be released. And, says the Statement, "approximately 5 billion, of the estimated 7 to 8 billion world population at the time, ...could receive 99 percent, or more, of the radiation exposure."
And there have indeed been incidents with this controversial fuel, but they have been kept away from the public.
Scheduled NASA launches include 12 future missions which will attempt to put a total of 132.5 kilograms of plutonium in space over the next few years

Sidenote:this makes my “A Scarce resource by the way” remark useless.
----------------------------------------------------------------------

Anyway, that’s just me venting about many things, all in one long n’ boring post.
El Virus is offline   you may: quote & reply,