Thread: David Lynch
View Single Post
Old 12-08-2005, 03:33 AM   #13
JofaGuht

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Virus
You know, I heard that the Season 2 is not the same to the first one, as Lynch was pressured by the network to reveal the killer, it somewhat drifted away from its original course and so on. According to my mother (who to my surprise watched the show when it was aired back in the 90s) it was still pretty good.
I've only seen the first seven of the second season, and they are just as good as the first season, if not better. But it's supposedly after that when it goes downhill a tad. The main ABC intervention that wound up changing things is changing Cooper from the brilliant, intuitive and eccentric detective into a romantic hero. I haven't watched far enough to see that metamorphasis, but supposedly it upset Lynch enough to create a series finale that "punished" that change.

They did push the revelation of the killer, but I supported that move. Lynch didn't want to reveal the killer and just have the concept of find Palmer's killer be a MacGuffin for exploring the world and the characters of Twin Peaks. But Laura Palmer's story was the thing I was most interested in to begin with.

Quote:
Wouldn't watching "Fire Walk With Me" (If I, for some strange reason, manage to get it) be a huge spoiler?
No, it's the other way around. Watching the second season would be a huge spoiler for the movie, silly!

I think that's how it fits. You watch the first season to grasp the world and fall in love with the characters, while still not knowing who Palmer's killer is. Perfect mindset for the perfect film, the film being the reason I set out my friends to watch the show in the first place.

Quote:
This is probably one of the few TV shows which I actually found interesting
I have two, simple little words for you: Joss Whedon. Watch Buffy, the Vampire Slayer and/or Angel and discover that there are some EXTREMELY brilliant shows out there.

There's no earthly way of knowing which direction we are going. There's no knowing where we're rowing or which way the river's flowing. Is it raining? Is it snowing? Is a hurricane a-blowing? Not a speck of light is showing, so the danger must be growing. Are the fires of hell a-glowing? Is the grisly reaper mowing? Yes, the danger must be growing 'cause the rowers keep on rowing, and they're certainly not showing any signs that they are slowing. AAAGGHHH!!!
JofaGuht is offline   you may: quote & reply,