Thread: David Lynch
View Single Post
Old 12-15-2005, 11:35 PM   #18
JofaGuht

Sorry it took so long to reply. The server's been down,

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Virus
Tomorrow I'll go to my reliable movie club and try to get (I mean, buy) "FWwM". Is the movie deep, or somewhat as dark as I imagine it to be?
Hardcore Lynch fans always find one movie out of the bunch they like a lot better than his others, and then they always have a handful they don't like. His films are very subjective. Fire Walk with Me had a giant emotional impact on me, just a movie that took about a month to get out of my head, but it may not have the same effect on you because it really is so subjective.

Quote:
Quality television is practically extinct
I agree with everything you've said (good to know I have an ally against Lost ). Networks don't like to take risks anymore, and I blame those 30-second or less stories they stick between the acts of your shows with their loud noises and bright flashing lights as the cause of the high rate of ADD in this world.

But I still feel like I need to do something to make sure quality in television doesn't die, because it's such a writer's medium. A lot of the best stories in the world can't be told in two hours or less. I can't let let such a fine way of storytelling be murdered by a bunch of Studio Executive Idiots.

Quote:
As for "Angel", there wasa time when I got hooked on it and watched about a whole season (or a lot of episodes); but it eventually got too weird, and I couldn't keep up with it.
It definitely has a huge mythology behind it that can leave you lost if you're not up to speed. It sounds like you might've been watching the fourth season, which had a cliffhanger every episode. It was a good season, but very taxing and hard to get through.

Quote:
"Buffy", well, fantasy is a genre I never liked, and I never cared to watch it; there was this bloke at my school though, who was a huge fan of it.
Since the big problem with television is the lack of risks it takes, it's why Joss Whedon shows are such a big deal with me. They seem to take nothing but risks. In Buffy, there was an entire episode that took place inside of a dream; there was another episode that had over thirty minutes without a line of dialogue. In the fifth season they added a character that never existed, but memories of the other characters were recreated by monks to believe it so. This is stuff that other television doesn't do.

Of course I personally like Angel a lot better than Buffy. Although they are both equally well-written shows, Buffy explores the emotional side of life while Angel explores the philosophical. And let's just say I'm much more into the philosophical.

Though you may want to try out Whedon's short-lived speculative fiction series called Firefly, which takes place five-hundred years in the future where the Earth superpower learned to terraform other planets and moons to be habitable, and they drop off the lower classes off at these planets with maybe food and blankets to try to survive. What you get is a mix between sci-fi and western that works really well.

There's no earthly way of knowing which direction we are going. There's no knowing where we're rowing or which way the river's flowing. Is it raining? Is it snowing? Is a hurricane a-blowing? Not a speck of light is showing, so the danger must be growing. Are the fires of hell a-glowing? Is the grisly reaper mowing? Yes, the danger must be growing 'cause the rowers keep on rowing, and they're certainly not showing any signs that they are slowing. AAAGGHHH!!!
JofaGuht is offline   you may: quote & reply,