Thread: David Lynch
View Single Post
Old 12-24-2005, 12:41 AM   #44
JofaGuht

Quote:
Peter Jackson (the King Kong re-maker and the guy behind the overrated "Lord of the Rings Trilogy") is in my opinion the XXIst century's alternative to D.W. Griffith.
Jackson used to direct b-horror films before his Ring trilogy. Ironic. But I'm not sure he's that bad of a director, I just can't get into him because of the "grandiose" is just something that never compelled me. Not to mention Howard Shore's (who's usually good) sorry excuse for a film score was just plain isolating and headache-inducing.

But I will dig into Jackson for this: the plain overuse of CGI. It's ruining movies and he's one of the front-seat drivers. I mean, Jim Hensen was able to create excellent and epic fantasy films, and he didn't need CGI.

Quote:
Just remembered a good TV show: Deadwood; unfortunately they stopped airing it here, and I lost track of it.
Did you and I ever talk about Carnivale? If not, let me say that was quite a good show as well. It took me a long time to get into it, though.

Quote:
movies are a form of art, after all
I've said this before. While I agree on a certain level, I do plan to make films someday, but I'd never really consider myself an artist. I'd always be just a storyteller.

Quote:
Anybody into Class-B or C movies?
I would indulge in Mystery Science Theatre 3000 from time to time, but I'm not huge into B movies other than that. I do have some old Bela Lugosi collections (a couple of which were his less "successful" films). Oh, and I can't live without my Evil Dead.

There's no earthly way of knowing which direction we are going. There's no knowing where we're rowing or which way the river's flowing. Is it raining? Is it snowing? Is a hurricane a-blowing? Not a speck of light is showing, so the danger must be growing. Are the fires of hell a-glowing? Is the grisly reaper mowing? Yes, the danger must be growing 'cause the rowers keep on rowing, and they're certainly not showing any signs that they are slowing. AAAGGHHH!!!
JofaGuht is offline   you may: quote & reply,