Thread: David Lynch
View Single Post
Old 12-28-2005, 03:27 PM   #64
JofaGuht

Magritte might not be very complex, but for some reason it always hits a spot of nostalgia in me. It makes me feel like I'm dreaming about a memory.

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Virus
What got you into Taoism?
A handful of things. When I was first taught it in school, they made it out to be a "lazy" religion and didn't really go into the detail that creates it. I never really had any faith, but Buddhism was something that interested me, but I really didn't want to get into anything that had any deity or leader.

Taoism came back to me when I discovered the meaning behind the yinyang. I always believed that good and evil were the same thing, but no one really understood me when I said it. It was really cool to find out that there was a universal symbol that agreed with me, and the "harmony of opposites" became one of my first beliefs about nature in general. Even Lao Tse had an opposite, he had Confucious (if you study both philosophies it's almost humorus how absolutely opposite Taoism is from Confucism).

There's also a little family history there as my aunt was really into finding a proper translation of the Tao Teh Ching. She was into that sort of thing, as well as a lot of ancient Tibetan writings (even though the Tao Teh Ching wasn't tibetan) but still that's were a lot of it came from. She bought me a copy of a truer haiku translation of the book. I read it and discovered it, first of all, not to be a religion, but a philosophy, and secondly was really able to love and relate to it. I loved the fact that the writings aren't too demanding of a simple right and wrong, and that there was nothing wrong with taking the obscurities and seeing them my own way (like a David Lynch movie, heheh).

I was reading about existentialism before hand and didn't get that much into it. First off, though you can take ideas from it and turn into your own thing, I still found a little arrogance in the words, and all in all the concept of the "anguish of being" really got to me. And how the "The concept of infinite nothingness" is a cause of that fear and anguish, and Taoism is a perfect counterpoint to that. I think that one of the many things that the "Tao" is, is that concept of infinite everything/nothingness and isn't meant to cause anguish but meant to be embraced.

There's no earthly way of knowing which direction we are going. There's no knowing where we're rowing or which way the river's flowing. Is it raining? Is it snowing? Is a hurricane a-blowing? Not a speck of light is showing, so the danger must be growing. Are the fires of hell a-glowing? Is the grisly reaper mowing? Yes, the danger must be growing 'cause the rowers keep on rowing, and they're certainly not showing any signs that they are slowing. AAAGGHHH!!!
JofaGuht is offline   you may: quote & reply,