View Single Post
Old 12-29-2005, 03:23 AM   #131
Charie
Rookie

El Virus
Quote:
I hold a grudge against Church
What - personally? Why would you care, if you don't believe it?

-----------------------------
About clever/stupid folks.
Perhaps it comes from the sense of superiority, when 'far cleverer' people wouldn't want to descend to the level of those whom they consider mentally inferior, same as we wouldn't be eager to talk to those silly, in our opinion.
However I haven't met many fools in my life. My class had always been considered 'intelligent elite' of the school, and for a reason. It's terrific to live every day among oh-so-clever-perfect-scholar-minded coevals, and it also presents a perfect challenge. Oh, well... I suppose I've done worst of all after graduation.

Quote:
It's the possibility to do whatever you want without restrictions and the chance to have a job, what I like most about adulthood. I am also starting to get tired of school or any sort of mandatory studying, which is another purpose.
I still don't get what restrictions you are talking about. Those raised by the lack of your own money? Next, where do you work, if it's not top-secret, and what's so great about it?
That's just the issue with me. I know I need to go and work, but I'm scared to the core at the prospect. I don't qualify for anything good (much like that 'bunch of burros' Manny complained about), and finding a common low-rate job isn't quite a future I've always pictured for myself; I still can't accept this reality. Bury my head in the sand, currently.
What about Universities, aren't you going to enter one?

Quote:
But your idea describes my current adolescence better; and accurately, if you add that eccentric attire of mine.
That's intriguing. And how would you describe your attire-style, in detail? Why do you call it 'eccentric'?

Quote:
For me, an up-tight guy who worries about everything(and I mean it), that can be quite tough.
Me too, I also worry too much about everything - though, mainly, everything highly insignificant.

Quote:
Ahh, parents...
I guess they think the same about us.

Quote:
A shoulder to cry on, and somebody willing to listen, is one of the most positive things about a relationship.
'A shoulder to cry on', coming from a bloke, sounds so... so... cute! You know, men are supposed to provide a shoulder, not use one.

Quote:
I've always been told that friendship is the most important thing, and those clichés. So I always thought that having twenty friends was normal.<...>
And about you; you seem to care about your father a lot, or at least you talk well about him, which makes me think you are not as self-minded as you claim to be .
Hm, it doesn't seem proper to call the importance of friendship a 'cliche'. However, that 'twenty friends' reference of yours sounds nothing but ridiculous to me. I don't think one can possibly have many real friends; while 'fellows', for the lack of the better word, are entirely optional. Or I don't know; I've always accepted that to call somebody a Friend means a lot.

About me: yeees, I'm a father's daughter. He's great, intelligent, abstract-minded, and we share the same temperament-type and many passions (like an omnipresent Harry Potter, or idle talk about the construction of the universe); besides, I know I owe him.
But I'm somehow afraid that my own comfort would always come first for me. Anyway, I'm not willing to find out.

Quote:
I don't suppose it was translated into Lithuanian or any other Baltic language; so forgive me if I was a bit speculative .
I cannot imagine that game in a Slavic language; it would have differed a lot.
I haven't heard about the Lithuanian translation, but it might exist. Don't assume I know Lithuanian well enough, though, that I can tell you. I wonder which language I know worse: English or Lithuanian. However, the latter sounds horrible to my ears and I'm not even going to try to learn it.
Why can't you imagine a GF in Russian? If properly done, it could have been great. *sighs for Soviet school of doubling movies*

Quote:
What's with Harry Potter?, I never got around reading those, and I have been driven off now by all the publicity and fuss around it.
That was a grave mistake of yours to tempt me to talk about Potter. The last time I've talked about it, in real life, I had lost my voice eventually.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

I've read the first book when there had already been four translations of them and the first movie, - by pure accident. I simply had an excess of money in my pocket and, walking by a bookstore, I idly mused whether that pompous sensation was actually worth reading. So I've bought the first one, spontaneously. The next day I've bought the second one, and the third the day after that. And the fourth, then. And later went to see the movie on it's last show in the local theatre (by the way, I still think that the first movie is the best). And since then, for four years or so now, I'm HP fan.

When I was reading the first few books for the first time, it was about magic in our real world, as if you could only look a little closer and notice it all around; it was a sort of a detective story in each tome, with an unpredicted (for me) villain; but, most important of all, it was and still is about PEOPLE. Their tangled relationships, prejudices and misunderstandings.

But as the things got further and Rowling proceeded writing the next books of Potteriana, it finally became clearly apparent that with Rowling nothing is what it seems. The first books, told from the point of view of a young Harry, appeared to be fairy-tales and nice magic stories only because of that: that Harry was young and didn't notice or comprehend much.
And now it seems that Potteriana have finally risen in it's true shape: a great post-modernistic detective story, where the author is a 'fugitive', and all the readers are 'detectives', trying to solve the clues in the text and find out the truth, eventually. You may imagine the trepidation with which the last book is being awaited, the one that will hold keys to most of the amazing mysteries.

But it is still a book about people, enclosed in the grand scheme of Rowling (and the character Dumbledore, the greatest magician of our times, or so it seems). The in-book un-meta plot of the story evolves around a man who became much like Hitler in the Wizarding World of Great Britain, his life, decisions and activity; and is told, with an exception of three chapters through all six current books, from the point of view of a young Harry Potter, a child and, later, adolescent with his own heavy issues and many flaws, but nevertheless fabulously kind and brave person, thrown - by the mighty union of Fate, Headmaster Dumbledore and JK Rowling - in a midst of frightful, adult and not a little painful events.

The characterization is sublime, every person appearing on the pages of Potteriana is a complete and fascinating individuality. There are no 'bad' or 'good' people in in the whole story; each and every one of them are human beings, sometimes with the most fantastic mixes of personality traits possible, and with their own sensible (or not very mush so) reasons to do what they are doing, their own feelings and history.

And on the top of it all that lies the grand scheme, which is reffered to as The Big Game of Professor Dumbledore sometimes, where it's each character is a piece of the major puzzle, and a puzzle in himself.
Harry Potter is still about magic, certainly, but only a bit. Potteriana is full of humor, puns, creative mythology and many, many dark adult matters, or simply adult and serious. You know, it's a story about Life.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

I reckon I owe you an apology for this listless excursus into Potter; it seems the book can't cease putting me in the 'Lupe' mode.

Quote:
I think that a positive thing about religion is that I can give people hope.
What kind of hope do you mean?
For me, it's mainly a guidance, and additional much-needed help in difficult desicios. Provides some sort of inner peace, as well. If by 'hope' you mean an idea of not being alone, then you might be right. In my case, I mean.

Well, it's just kind of inane matter I would like to believe in, it is all the same insignificant in the daily routine.
Charie is offline   you may: quote & reply,