View Single Post
Old 12-29-2005, 07:27 AM   #134
VampireNaomi
was a dog in earlier life

LFN Staff Member 
Quote:
However, it still has nothing to do with religeon itself. Religeon is about the way to make yourslf a better person, to live peacefully under some or other common human rules, and seek knowledge/enlightment. Do you remember any sacred rule which would tell, 'go and kill each other, my beloved children; steal and cause harm, neglect and abuse'? Pf. If there is, it's some too smart editor's remark, I'm certain.
Couldn't have said it better myself. If only more people, religious and non-religious equally, understood that. Besides, I don't think one needs the church to be religious. I mean, if someone has a problem with the chuch, they can still be religious on their own, right?

I also grow quite frustrated with people who insist that killing in the name of religion is right. Especially since these people are usually the first to judge women who've had an abortion etc.

Quote:
For you Kreacher was obvious? For me not in the world. And I'm ashamed to admit I haven't read the sixth book; only a third part of it, the night it appeared for the public, in the wave of everyone's around me enthusiasm. Not that I don't want to, it's just that I still... plan to. Mhm. All my HP-friends have read it a long time ago, certainly, my father included. We even had a row once on the sore subject of Snape's loyalties.
Now that you mention it, I can't remember if I guessed Kreacher's involvement, but at least it wasn't a shock in the same way the Crouch Jr. thing was in the fourth book. That was something totally unexpected.

Quote:
I love the way later books open your eyes on the events in the previous ones. Every line somehow significant, and smallest details from the past playing a big part in the future events. And vice-versa. And, of course, the complicated inter-character relationships, starting with the first books - it's just not obvious there, until you stop taking them as fairy-tales but a whole same reality.
True, true. It's fascinating how the later books make you go back to the previous ones to find the hints hidden there. I particularly liked how Sirius was mentioned in the first book even though he became important in the third one. Such a small detail, but it makes the world seem a lot more real.

Quote:
Lenin must be bald. Couldn't be him.
True. That's was confused me. Without the hair he would look a little like Lenin.

"Oho, my sainted aunt, have I become a victim of brain fever, the curse of academia...?" -- Jonathan Crane

Sweet As Mango: Nick/Olivia all the way!
VampireNaomi is offline   you may: quote & reply,