Thread: David Lynch
View Single Post
Old 12-29-2005, 09:49 PM   #69
El Virus

Location: On a route of many roads leading from nowhere to nothing
Quote:
Originally Posted by JofaGuht
I've read Valis and the first half of A Scanner Darkly.

That overly detailed form of writing isn't very inviting. Even though the stories are interesting, the style of writing just isn't very involving, at least not for someone so finicky with books like me.
There is a movie adaptation of A Scanner Darkly coming out soon; even though I dislike the performers and I don't expect much from it, I like the style it will be filmed in. As long as they don't ruin the book for me.

I like detailed writing, but there is something about PKD's style that I'm not too fond of (perhaps its the characters). But he is undeniable one of the most creative and influential writers of the genre. He is still one of my favourites, mainly because of the way he questioned reality on so many different forms.
You should go for his short stories, which are outstanding. Or alternatively, The Man in the High Castle, which is more alternative history.

Quote:
Reading books should be enjoyable, it shouldn't be like doing homework. Unfortunately, easy-to-read books tend not to tell the kind of dark tales I like. And then I discovered Robert Cormier, and that all changed.
Never heard of him. What genre did he work on?
El Virus is offline   you may: quote & reply,