View Single Post
Old 12-30-2005, 08:17 AM   #144
VampireNaomi
was a dog in earlier life

LFN Staff Member 
Quote:
He stated his birthday date in his profile.
Oops. That's what you get when you're too lazy to check.

Quote:
History is a subject which could be taught the wrongest way possible at school in a country with prejudiced goverment. No need to search far for an example: take USSR's role in the world's events. In Lithuania, it is a very common thing nowadays to vilify everything concerning Soviet Union, and completely bathe it in dirt - - because those sycophants of the governors lick USA's... well, whatever. So, when it was still USSR here, all History textbooks were, understandably, full of praise solely to Soviets, while now everything coming from there is proudly presented as mud. Re-writing History to accomodate current powers in control is too usual a thing, sadly.
I suspected something like that, but specific examples are always interesting. And it sort of makes you paranoid because you can't be sure that whatever is taught to you is correct. I remember my previous History teacher who would throw all kinds of anti-Russian garbage at us in class while conviniently forgetting to tell about the bad things we did.

Quote:
The whole series just shout that Severus's Dumbledore's man. I think. Which particular scene do you refer to?
I'm thinking of the scene in which Dumbledore and Snape argue, and Snape says he doesn't like/want to do something. Even if that scene doesn't mean what I think it does, there must be some explanation for it in the final book.

Quote:
A beautiful alphabet? That's a newsflash. What's so beautiful about it? *perplexed*
It's so exotic, especially all the different variations of "s". Besides, how can you look at something like this: "домохозяйкой" and say it's not beautiful?

Quote:
What languages do you know? I take it that they are quite a few.
Apart from Finnish and English, only Swedish and German. I'm not even nearly fluent in either, though.

"Oho, my sainted aunt, have I become a victim of brain fever, the curse of academia...?" -- Jonathan Crane

Sweet As Mango: Nick/Olivia all the way!
VampireNaomi is offline   you may: quote & reply,