Thread: David Lynch
View Single Post
Old 12-31-2005, 01:05 AM   #72
JofaGuht

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Virus
But Wynona Ryder, Keanu Reeves and Robert Downey Jr., aren't the actors I would choose.
I enjoy Robert Downey Jr. actually. And Keanu Reeves and Wynona Ryder aren't great but the good thing about bland actors is that they are very easily manipulatable by directors.

[quote]well, it is Hollywood after all, what else can I expect?./QUOTE]

No, actually. It is an independent film that Linklater used his personal and usual producers, Tommy Pallota and Anne Walker-McBay, for. It was shot on DV, and the reason it got the big name actors was because of the weight of the names of some of the execs, like George Clooney and Steven Soderbergh, and the fact that the book is pretty beloved by a lot of the named people.

Linklater was known as one of those "no-budget" pioneers of the early nineties. He made Slacker, which he made with his friends in 1991 for 20 thousand dollars and got distribution and a lot of critical acclaim. It's a story in the hands of people I trust.

---

Also, the things I said about PKD early is an opinion I can't really rely on. I haven't much experience with him, but since the couple of books I have read didn't really get to me, I sort of associate him with all the other writers & novels I pick up but am not able to connect with.

It gets bothersome. Especially some of the friends who are more into the philosophies that spark my interest, they go, "Oh, you're into this sort of thing? You have read Huxley." or "Gravity's Rainbow is a fantastic novel that's an obligation." or "William S. Borroughs is God." I follow their suggestions and the critical acclaim and get lead to a turgidity that's lucky if it can get me through twenty pages. I don't even bother buying books anymore. Now it's when I'm at a bookstore, I desperately search for that book that's for me. I mean, I've already read everything by Cormier, and he's dead now. So I'm stuck.

There's no earthly way of knowing which direction we are going. There's no knowing where we're rowing or which way the river's flowing. Is it raining? Is it snowing? Is a hurricane a-blowing? Not a speck of light is showing, so the danger must be growing. Are the fires of hell a-glowing? Is the grisly reaper mowing? Yes, the danger must be growing 'cause the rowers keep on rowing, and they're certainly not showing any signs that they are slowing. AAAGGHHH!!!
JofaGuht is offline   you may: quote & reply,