View Single Post
Old 12-31-2005, 02:12 AM   #150
Charie
Rookie

El Virus
To answer 'a bit concisely' is not a bad thing among all these conversational giants. However, conciseness is not my talent's sister.

Quote:
If you don't mind, how come you had to leave it?
I don't mind (though I wonder whether that's a good sign or bad). You see, I have left not only that, I've left all my life overboard at some point: school (I have a school-leaving certificate, but virtually I didn't attent it in my supposed last year, and didn't take exams - I was officially exused from them), preparatory arts school, friends, relations and everything else. I don't think I wasn't helped profoundly to abandon it all, but I certainly should have done something, should have resisted... Right. I know I couldn't have done anything differently.
It's just sort of hard to switch from the perfectly organized, happy ordinary life to a complete wreck of it.

Quote:
What sort of drastic and insurmountable obstacles throttle our chance for a mind-blowing romance?
It's not as easy to figure out what is your type, as it is to figure what isn't.
Yes, that's true. So far I've only met 'not my types' either. Well, I'm an 'unseasoned pear', as mother calls it, I don't have the slightest idea what should be.
Obstacles? For one, I'm not actually a 'mind-blowing romance' sort of person. At least I don't think I am. And you wouldn't like me: I'm plump, with green complexion and an awful Don-Copal temperment (*scared to read this myself*), and I sing all the time despite the fact that I've no voice. Oh, and there's the ocean.
Heartbreaking, isn't it?

Quote:
If there is one thing I like from here, it has to be Tango. It's just one of the greatest dances and music out there.<...>
What's wrong with Lithuanians?
Tango is loved all around the world. I think dances overall are great, when I see people dancing beautifully, flawlessly, well - just dancing, I feel sad about my total lack of aptitude for it. Can you dance? Tango? I guess you can.

Lithuanian national character is nothing admirable. Petty, greedy and grave, with little interest in anything but practical mundane routines, and not welcoming in the scantiest. Narrow-minded. Of course, there are kind, nice, friendly and open-hearted Lithuanians, but those are more an exception to the common rule; I somehow don't consider them Lithuanians at all.

Quote:
Bards are incredible, but no song can compare to the excellence of Ваше Благородие or the beauty of Песенка об Арбате.
*didn't find "Песенку об Арбате" on the hard-drive, hurriedly searched the Internet for it* I wonder what's so astounding about these two songs for you. My friends and me were constantly singing "Ваше Благородие" when kids, among other popular songs from movies. I can't think of this song without remembering Sukhov and Sayid and others.
'Arbat' - yes, it's amazing. Can't help but think of my fathers complaints that, 'nooo, Arbat's different now, it's irretrievably lost in the past'. Sometimes I so much long to visit the country I was born in, to find out myself what were the people's relationships like in Soviet Union. If they were anything like in the movies, then... Not that I have the chance, anyway. It's all so strange.

Quote:
Which titles do you keep re-reading?
I do not keep re-reading, I re-read from time to time, mostly because I never memorize a thing from what I read. So, I have re-read three-four times the same books I've read as a kid: Yankee in King Arthur's Court, The Prince and the Pauper, Tom Sowyer and Huckleberry Finn (Huckleberry Finn mostly, actually). I've read some short stories, but - as usually - I don't recall anything.
To re-read three-four times is normal for me concerning almost every book, you know. Doesn't apply to my favourites, though - due to the superstition (about not getting all the meaning if lightly approached, and all that).

Quote:
Do you prefer Israel to Lithuania or any other place?
I've never been to any other places, remember?
In Israel I instantly feel at home. You just wander around and sense that those people are your people, and a sweet and a bit rotten air, and sand and night. Mother says it's because of all the friends and relatives we have there; I disagree. Those are her friends and relatives, mostly, though I most certainly have some best people there as well. It's the country, it's spirit, and funny natives: lazy foxes and concerned vacants.
Lithuania has beautiful nature, though. There's no place better than Neringa. If I lived in Neringa, I most definitely wouldn't want to move elsewhere. But I don't think I'll ever live there; besides, Neringa's beauty is in the excess of wild nature and the lack of highly unnecessary people. I want it never populated more than it's now.

Quote:
Did you have a crush on your history teacher too?
No! Ai-yai, how could you even think that of me. I haven't had a crush on anyone, well, maybe save for unserious over-admiration for a couple of girls.
That historian, Andrei Evgenievich, had already been teaching our class for two years (and I didn't pay any attention to un-favourite subject and it's teacher), when that friend of mine sat with me on that lesson. And since then, she had started filling me in on every little detail concerning our historian: age, address, family, costumes, facial features and so on and so on. You can imagine my suffering. But there was also an unexpected positive effect of my friend's fantasies me: I had actually started to pay attention, to see myself what's so adorable about historian. And the amazing revelation I'd made was an incomprehensible epiphany that 'history can be interesting!' When lectured like Adrei Evgenievich did, at least. So, after that I'd eagerly studied history until 'the disaster struck'.
By the way, that friend of mine didn't value his teaching methods at all. Stupid. All she cared about was a pretty face (not that it wasn't). We had many rows over that.

Quote:
Now VampireNaomi is the most loyal Grim Fandango fan I know of.
Seems so. Ramarkable.

Quote:
It didn't sound offensive; all of what you say sounds rational enough for me. I'm starting to believe that you don't think much of yourself, either.
I have my reasons. Well, everything about me is either too much or too little. It's terrible.
As for yesterday - I guess I was excessively doubtful due to tiredness and worries about today. I still don't know how will I spend the New Year celebration. Most probably there won't be any celebration for me at all, but it still may be lunch with my father, or - - I'd prefer to know in advance.

Quote:
What a screwed up place we live in.
Ditto, mon cher ami.
Let's pick and relish those scant diamonds in the dust our sorrowful ways cautiously present to us even on the darkest days of our lifes. Mes enfants.
Charie is offline   you may: quote & reply,