Thread: David Lynch
View Single Post
Old 01-01-2006, 01:55 PM   #74
JofaGuht

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Virus
but I think it's produced by Warner Bros. and I thought I was mistaken.
::reaches into pointless movie production knowledge in foreground of brain::

Again with distribution. I know it's not produced by Warner Bros, though they may be presenting it. Basically, you can have a completely independent film with a completely independent production company, you show the movie around, and a big-time distribution company can stand up and buy it, and they find theatres for the film. Or it could be backwards. The indie folks could have pitched the idea to the big-time company and get them to invest in it or even pay for it, then they take the money from the big-time company and gather their own indie production gang and use the money to make the film.

You cannot beat the uber-moviegeek when it comes to these things. And nothing makes me feel geekier than talking about this (that's a lie, talking about Joss Whedon would make me feel geekier)

I haven't really found the names of the companies producing the film, so I don't know for sure. But I know Linklater is using him own people, which most likely means he's using his own production company "Detour" to make it. If Warner Bros name is on it, then they are either distributing the film or they gave a crapload of money to Detour to make it.

But then again, since I went into such detail, it's my ironic luck that I'll find out tomorrow that the detail I just went into is completely wrong.

Quote:
Not too sound like your friends, but you should go for sarcastically dark humorists like Bierce and Twain. Or 'hard boiled detective' fiction like Hammet or Cain. Or more philosophical writers like Miguel de Unamuno.
I used to really be into the "sarcastically dark" stuff, because I had gotten deep into Chuck Palahniuk. He's most well-known for the writing the novel that the film "Fight Club" was based on, but I really fell in love with Survivor, another book he wrote, and really dug his style. But he's got a couple misses as well, and that specific style, which is awesome when it works, is also hell to get through when it doesn't.

I'm also into journalist writers, as I'm a big fan of Hunter S. Thompson, and currently I'm reading some stuff from the rock journalist Lester Bangs. You can never go wrong when journalists write books because they were trained to get the point through right away and will never fall to turgidity.

There's no earthly way of knowing which direction we are going. There's no knowing where we're rowing or which way the river's flowing. Is it raining? Is it snowing? Is a hurricane a-blowing? Not a speck of light is showing, so the danger must be growing. Are the fires of hell a-glowing? Is the grisly reaper mowing? Yes, the danger must be growing 'cause the rowers keep on rowing, and they're certainly not showing any signs that they are slowing. AAAGGHHH!!!
JofaGuht is offline   you may: quote & reply,