Thread: David Lynch
View Single Post
Old 01-01-2006, 06:19 PM   #75
El Virus

Location: On a route of many roads leading from nowhere to nothing
Quote:
Originally Posted by JofaGuht
Again with distribution. I know it's not produced by Warner Bros, though they may be presenting it. Basically, you can have a completely independent film with a completely independent production company, you show the movie around, and a big-time distribution company can stand up and buy it, and they find theatres for the film. Or it could be backwards. The indie folks could have pitched the idea to the big-time company and get them to invest in it or even pay for it, then they take the money from the big-time company and gather their own indie production gang and use the money to make the film.
I agree to that.
But that's the problem with moviemaking; the director is too limited by the money he's got. Every now and then you might find a company wanting a totally different story, but unless it has the prerequisites to be a blockbuster, they won't produce it.

Quote:
You cannot beat the uber-moviegeek when it comes to these things. And nothing makes me feel geekier than talking about this (that's a lie, talking about Joss Whedon would make me feel geekier)
Ey, better being a cinema-geek than a Star Trek/Star Wars one (not that there's anything wrong with that).

Quote:
I used to really be into the "sarcastically dark" stuff, because I had gotten deep into Chuck Palahniuk. He's most well-known for the writing the novel that the film "Fight Club" was based on, but I really fell in love with Survivor, another book he wrote, and really dug his style. But he's got a couple misses as well, and that specific style, which is awesome when it works, is also hell to get through when it doesn't.
"The Fight Club" is great. I read it after seeing the movie (which to my surprise was not the ultra-violent pointless movie I thought it would be, but instead a profound one), and liked it even more. Too bad they changed the ending in the movie.

Quote:
I'm also into journalist writers, as I'm a big fan of Hunter S. Thompson, and currently I'm reading some stuff from the rock journalist Lester Bangs. You can never go wrong when journalists write books because they were trained to get the point through right away and will never fall to turgidity.
I'm more into essays than novels, but I got into travel books lately. So far I haven't been able to get hold of a good one, other than "Life on the Mississippi".
El Virus is offline   you may: quote & reply,