View Single Post
Old 01-02-2006, 05:43 PM   #33
Kurgan
Headhunter

LFN Staff Member 10 year veteran! 
Quote:
Originally Posted by master_skywalke
After wathing Moth3r's laserdisc transfer of ANH, I noticed that they re-mixed Vader's voice to match his voice in ESB and ROTJ, and that serveral "radio" lines in the Battle of Yavin are also re-mixed (please correct me if they already did this for the SE).

To be perfectly frank, the sound changes are a nightmare and so I spent only a little time with very obvious stuff. The same can be said of others who've compared the various versions.

So let's not get too off topic, but let me say that I spent time describing the differences between the Special Editions (I really mean the home releases of the 1997 SE's) and the 2004 DVD's. If I spent time talking about the original editions or the various incarnations released pre-1997 the thread would be a lot longer and more confusing.

The thing is, for the most part the sound changes were most radical for the 1995 "THX Enhanced" trilogy (aka the "Faces" set). They had alternate lines and remixed sound, etc. The original Star Wars (pre-ANH) was Mono, with a stereo mix being created later (I forget exactly when, perhaps after Aunt Beru's voice was re-dubbed). Fan edits or bootlegs are problematic to use as models because the creator of said edit still makes a creative decision on what sound mix(es) to use for their transfer. Comparing video is one thing, comparing sound is quite another. So if you were going to go that route I would use the VHS or Laser Discs themselves to compare, not a fan created version that might have been spliced together from different cuts and soundtracks.

Obviously the soundtracks for the Special Editions had to be changed again, not only to account for the new music segments in ROTJ, but also for the extended scenes and shots with the cues and such in each of the movies. The timing was again thrown off undoubtably for ESB with the new Emperor/Vader dialouge scene, and in Jedi with the fly by of Naboo. There was even a glitch in the theatrical version of ROTJ SE that was corrected in the home release (they forgot a credit IIRC) with the music again having to have been made to match I'm sure.

Plus sound changes are more difficult to illustrate in a forum thread unless you provide examples, and since I really don't have time or desire to grab sound clips from the SE's and 2004 editions to compare, it probably won't be happening unless somebody else does all the work. Sorry!

Download JK2 maps for JA Server|BOOT CAMP!|Strategic Academy|
(JA Server: 108.178.55.189:29070)

"The Concussion Rifle is the weapon of a Jedi Knight Player, an elegant weapon, from a more civilized community." - Kyle Katarn
Kurgan is offline   you may: quote & reply,