View Single Post
Old 01-26-2006, 11:55 AM   #12
El Virus

Location: On a route of many roads leading from nowhere to nothing
Well, since I'm on vacation, I watch at least a movie per day; though the number might reach up to three, if I have nothing better to do.

But since this is a "Good Movies" thread, only a few are worth it.

-Blood and Sand, 1922; silent cinema (which I really enjoy). Pretty good movie about a matador/toreador, which was deeper than wht I expected. I was disappointed with Rudolph Valentino's work, but it is still good.

-Intolerance, 1916; directed by DW Griffith (in case you don't know him, he was a kind of Peter Jackson; regarding the cost of his films, that is, for Griffith's work is much better) it's a hostorical view of humanity's intolerance, during different ages. The movie is a comeback to those who criticised Birth of a Nation's racism.

-Other Silent films, which you couldn't care less about.

-Fear & Loathing in Las Vegas; this movie has been discussed in the David Lynch thread. It's very good, but somewhat weird.

-Reservoir Dogs; 1992, Tarantino film. It's about a group of strangers who try to perform a crime and things go wrong, but it's very 'theatrical' or exaggerated ona way. Quentin's best, in my opinion.

-Barton Fink; 1991 but dated in the 40s (how can I hate a movie with a good story set during this spectacular decade?), it is an ironic tale about a successfull and intellectual writer who decides to go to work in Hollywood. It's a very close description of what I think of the American Film Industry, and the people who run it. It gets quite strange about the ending.

-The Sting; 1973. Just caught this one yeasterday; with Robert Redford and Paul Newman. Another one which takes place around the 30s; and, according to IMDB, it's about a young con man seeking revenge for his murdered partner who teams up with a master of the big con to win a fortune from a criminal banker. It's mere entertainment however.

And I could go on, but who gives a damn.

Also, spelling mistakes, they are thanks to the keyboard I'm using.
El Virus is offline   you may: quote & reply,