View Single Post
Old 02-11-2006, 12:02 PM   #66
wedge2211
Commander, Rogue Squadron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Athanasios
First, Germans did know the attack on Normandy, but Hitler didn't gave Romwell the required defences he asked for. Read the extensive history facts on this.
I've read primary sources. You're right, but you're distorting events. The Germans defended Normandy with units that were underequipped and of an average age much higher than the rest of the German Army. Furthermore, the Allies had bombed out many of the supply lines to Normandy--and they actually did so in such a pattern that they didn't give away the precise target of the D-Day invasion. To top it all off, the Allied Expeditionary Force ran a highly successful disinformation campaign against the German Army, including constructing a fictitious invasion army in England. The timing of the assault was a closely guarded secret. The Nazi leadership suspected an incoming attack, but they did not realize the magnitude of the impending invasion and they did not know when the assault was to occur. The net result was that because the Nazi leadership had its attention elsewhere, they didn't give credence to the available intelligence, didn't believe a successful Normandy invasion was possible, and left their forces concentrated on the Eastern Front. While they built up their forces in one region, they left another open for invasion. That was my point, that citing the D-Day invasion was actually an argument against this "fleet of doom."

Quote:
Whereas in real war surprisement does happen, a "smart" AI system has some limits on how it will move around. Also, the surprise attack can be prevended when you setup satellites in orbit. And ofcourse, the creation of the "doom fleet" doesn't necessarly mean that you build the ships in one corner of the galaxy, while you control a bunch of planets on the other corner; you may advance in control of planets methodically, creating a strong core system and jumping to the nearby ones.
I don't know what you're getting at about 'a "smart" AI system has some limits on how it will move around,' after all, those same limits will be experienced by a human player. However, that tactics you are describing now are not the "big fleet of doom." That describes building up a single large fleet that hops from planet to planet, methodically taking out defenses. One huge flet would take a long time to build up and would concentrate your forces far too closely in one (or a few) systems. The enemy could take your outlying planets with small forces, decreasing your income base and hindering your ability to build the "doome fleet."

You are now describing building up one or two core fleets, but investing in planetary defenses (troops and garrisons) and intelligence gathering (satellites) rather than just concentrating on fleet-building; and spreading your forces to effectively counter small-scale enemy attacks and take targets of opportunity. Those are exactly the tactics that I've been arguing would destroy a player using the "doom fleet" approach. While they are trying to build up a single massive fleet so powerful that it will be impervious to attack, your regional patrol and garrison fleets can harass or even capture the planets making up the enemy income base while your medium-to-large core fleets can be brought in to attack hardened targets when necessary.

At this point, as I see it, your complaint about "doom fleet" tactics reduces to complaining that if one player has more systems, more garrisons, and bigger fleets than their opponent, they are likely to win if they attack methodically and keep their assets guarded. To that, I say: well, duh! The real game is getting to that point, not what happens afterward. In a real SP or MP match, I doubt you could get to the point where you have a single massive "doom fleet" unless the game was in its late stages anyways.

wedge2211 is offline   you may: