View Single Post
Old 03-07-2006, 08:11 AM   #54
edlib
Close to the Edge

Current Game: DiRT 3; Forza 4
10 year veteran! Forum Veteran 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samuel Dravis
It really is amazing how many people think they can make absolute judgments and still pretend to be morally relative. I showed that edlib was either not morally relative or that his opinions didn't matter because they had no value in relation to other people. He said that everyone's belief should be respected and all beliefs are of equal value and cannot be denied. I deny that statement, but according to him, my belief is valid. Funny thing is, my statement can't be both valid and invalid at the same time; it's either one or the other. Therefore edlib's proposition that everyone's beliefs are equal is absurd, and you should realize that.
Really? Just because my last post was eaten by a crashed browser, and vanished forever into the ether, and I haven't gotten around to re-creating a response it took me almost an hour to type out in the first place... please don't take it to mean I have conceded the point.

I was going to just forget it all, let the point rest on my part, and let others take up the battle, however... since a detailed discussion of moral relativism and moral absolutism seems to be getting a bit far afield of the purpose of this thread. There are also deep discussions of "Free Will," the meaning of "privacy," and the role of the state in enforcing individual morality on people that we could get into while on the subject... but all of that seems a bit outside the main thrust of this thread.

But you have successfully goaded me into making a response now.

Unfortunately, I'm in the process of getting ready for work at the moment, and simply don't have anywhere near the time it will take to go back over what I covered in my missing post. It will have to wait for tonight.

I will say this right now, though: There is one, and only one person that I have any power to make moral judgements for; and that is myself. I am the only person whom I have any control over in terms of spiritual salvation... if you wish to call it that.

I also don't feel I have the power or the authority to judge any other person in moral terms, having never been in their shoes. For example: never having been a young girl faced with the prospect of a life-altering unexpected pregnancy, I cannot state with any certainty exactly how I would react in that situation.
Therefore, I can't judge her on the actions she chooses to take at that point. That is something she has to work out on her own, based on the moral and ethical background she has been raised with.
I am not God, and have no way of seeing into her heart. Any decision she makes at that point will have to worked out between her and her deity.

EDIT:

(Hmmm... this is my 3rd attempt in a row to edit this post. My browser keeps crashing when I hit "Save Changes"
I just switched browsers... let's see if that works. I'm really not having any luck with this forum these days...)

I read a good op/ed piece on Slate.com yesterday while thinking about all this. I agree with many of the points the writer makes:

http://www.slate.com/id/2137436/nav/tap1/

Native XWA.Netter (Nutter?)

Last edited by edlib; 03-07-2006 at 08:54 AM.
edlib is offline   you may: quote & reply,