View Single Post
Old 03-07-2006, 10:47 AM   #57
Samuel Dravis

Quote:
Originally Posted by ET Warrior
And it was a complete mis-interpretation based on taking my words out of context and running in the exact opposite direction. It's not MY fault if you cannot understand my argument, it
It's somehow my fault you stated contradictory things as your beliefs?

Quote:
Your entire argument against me is a strawman. There is absolutely NO correlation between somebody who is braindead for 5 seconds and a fetus that doesn't have a brain to be DEAD. Yet you continually insist that that's exactly what I've been saying the whole time, when I quite clearly have made a distinction between the two.
But there is. Neither one has any brain function whatsoever. You defined personhood by brain function, and therefore neither one is a person. That opens the door to killing people because they have no brain function, even if you know they are likely going to survive it. If that's acceptable to you, you're entitled to your opinion, but don't ask me to respect your decisions based on it.

Quote:
Well in this case I'm going to need YOU to prove to me that innocents will not be harmed if abortion IS made illegal. Prove to me that women won't go to back alley abortion clinics where they're just as likely to die themselves, prove to me that women won't go at themselves with coat hangers, and throw themselves down staircases to prevent having a baby that they don't want and cannot possibly care for.
I asked you for a very simple thing, just a time that can be put into law so that we know when a person exists and when it doesn't. Care to answer?

Yes, the woman is making a concious and independent decision to go to a back alley clinic. She accepts those risks to her life implicitly by doing so. She is responsible for her actions.

Quote:
The problem with making abortion illegal is that it isn't going to DO anything, except make anti-abortionists feel like something was accomplished.
It will ensure that no innocent dies, the same as a ban against the death penalty. That's doing something.

Quote:
If they REALLY wanted to help, they would take the time and money invested in trying to illegalize it and put that into safe-sex programs, counciling programs, and programs intended to assist single mothers. THOSE would help get to the crux of the problem, instead of making it illegal so you can ignore it.
I have been and still am active in organizations that do these things. I am actually in the middle of a fundraiser for a pregnancy resource center. Your assumptions are not necessarily correct and I suggest you qualify them. I'm not ignoring any part of the issue.

"Words are deeds." - Wittgenstein
Samuel Dravis is offline   you may: quote & reply,