View Single Post
Old 03-07-2006, 12:57 PM   #60
edlib
Close to the Edge

Current Game: DiRT 3; Forza 4
Hot Topic Starter 10 year veteran! Forum Veteran 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samuel Dravis
Yes, really... you should have to explain yourself if you want to be taken seriously.
Ha ha... dude, are you serious?

Do you really think I care that much about what a stranger that I've never met in person on an internet bulletin board thinks about anything I say?
I don't give much of a damn if you take me seriously or not. Debating things on this forum are an interesting diversion for me. A time-killer... but hardly anything that will ultimately mean anything to my life or yours.
I stated my personal opinion, for the record. You have problems with it. If I get more time at a later date, I'll try to clarify my stance on the matter, but I'm sure as hell am not going to put other parts of my life on hold for it.

I've never expected that either of us will change our point of view on the matter. If anything, stating our viewpoints in this way will only cause us to become even father entrenched.

How about this?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samuel Dravis

Crime cannot be stopped, so we should try to reduce the causes that lead to it.
Violence cannot be stopped, so we should try to reduce the causes that lead to it.
Abuse cannot be stopped, so we should try to reduce the causes that lead to it.
Murder cannot be stopped, so we should try to reduce the causes that lead to it.
All those things you described are part of our evolutionary heritage in the form of the reptilian part of the brain that houses all of our competitive instincts, and refuses to be civilized. We can attempt to control it, but without an evolutionary change, those darker parts of us will never fully go away.

Reducing the causes that lead to these actions through education, counseling, and social programs is what I believe what will ultimately reduce these problems. But only in a utopia could they ever truly go away. there will be some that always resort to violent measures despite how "perfect" society tries to make things.

I'd post more, but my break at work is over.

Native XWA.Netter (Nutter?)
edlib is offline   you may: quote & reply,