View Single Post
Old 03-29-2006, 06:14 PM   #20
ScorLibran
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan Gaarni
Well, no ship in Star Wars (to my knowledge) can go as fast as the light in real space, appearantly as I understand it because it's based on our notion you can't go faster than light. What they do is having special drives called Hyper Drives on board which flings the ships into a parallell dimension called Hyperspace. In hyperspace there are no speed limits, only the hyperdrives' efficiency to fling the ship into hyperspace (this last bit is my explaination as it must be the drives' fault that jumps arn't instant, if there is no speed limit in Hyperspace itself).
True. I just dump it all together and refer to it as "faster-than-light" (FTL) travel, even though it's not really "travel" at all. Whether it's hyperspace, warp drive, folding space or hopping dimensions - it's most often the same concept being referred to for traveling 100 light years in (almost) an instant.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan Gaarni
I was just throwing out ideas.
The galaxy we see could be another galaxy very close by, that's another explanation. That again would be the best explaination as according to Star Wars source materials, it is impossible (or atleast thought to be impossible even at that time and age) to travel thru Hyperspace outside the galaxy due to some kind of barrier.
Then again, I don't know if it's ever stated how far out from the galaxy this barrier reaches, so who knows.
Good point - it could be a galaxy "next door" to the one they're in. You'd be seeing another galaxy through a portion of your own, hence it'd look like it was in a larger "starfield". By actual science, I doubt there are two galaxies so close that they'd look like that (the other galaxy would be hardly visible beyond the closer starfield), but in the vast scope of the Star Wars universe, I think they could exist that way just fine.

ScorLibran is offline   you may: quote & reply,