View Single Post
Old 04-13-2006, 02:53 PM   #141
Prime
Am I a truck or robot?

Current Game: Skyrim, Macross PS2
10 year veteran! LF Jester Veteran Modder Helpful! 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurgan
It might seem a radical move, but I don't see why they couldn't do it, if other franchises have. I mean Star Trek still sells their novels and stuff even though none of it is considered canon. Marvel maintains multiple lines of continuity with their characters and has restarted certain lines like Spider-Man.
I just think they would never have the balls to do it. But frankly I'm glad there aren't multiple lines of continuity...

Quote:
Yeah, but which ones to label infinities?
The **** ones? That would be up for them to decide. Basically, I think they would just to have to more rigorously apply canon concepts now that we have the entire movie picture.

Quote:
Infinities is a gimmick because it's like "oh wow, some crazy stuff they couldn't possibly depict otherwise!"
True enough. They could have another, similar label, or we could admit that a lot of the EU is just as crazy as some of the infinities stuff.

Quote:
I think they have created this mystical reputation with fans that these are holy writings that were fact checked through Lucas's super computer to prevent inconsistencies.
Or worse, that Lucas himself reads each book and provides feedback/guidance, or that the EU is all his ideas and his vision.

Quote:
I don't think it's a bad thing, I think the fans can "handle it" they should just admit it doesn't all fit together perfectly, and maybe it's easier just to restart it. Then they can have their "it all fits together you know" attitude without all the clutter.
It would just do so much good for the overall story to have it tie in better with the entire movie saga (and get rid of all the KJA stuff).

Quote:
It does? I only recall that one bit from the original ROTJ novel that depict Luke being "shocked" by the "corruption" of such a power... is that what you mean? Or calling it "evil lightning." (Maybe I'm confusing part of the AOTC novelisation).
I'm referring to Lucas's comments on the AOTC commentary stating that lightning is a Sith power.

Quote:
That's another pet peeve I have. See in your above quote, you mention this incident, which is just one more in the huge pile that basically says all these Republic era Jedi were "mavericks" and people bordering on the Dark Side. It's like they assume that because they've made Luke and Kyle Katarn into these easily tempted, flirting with the Dark Side of the Force, "break the rules and make up their own" kind of guys, that now all Jedi are like this...It's insane! I mean, okay, so they're trying to give characters more "depth" by making them edgy.
It is really the silly mean/rude/*******/punk = cool mentality. This seems to have been applied freely to the NJO Jedi, which is a shame...

Prime is offline   you may: quote & reply,