View Single Post
Old 04-18-2006, 10:43 AM   #108
Jae Onasi
Antiquis temporibus, nati tibi similes in rupibus ventosissimis exponebantur ad necem

Current Game: Guild Wars 2, VtMB, TOR
Alderaan News Holopics contributor Helpful! LucasCast staff Veteran Fan Fic Author 
Quote:
Originally Posted by machievelli
Sorry about the crotch. It was flowing well and you guys are seeing it as it is written with little or no editing. I changed the phrase to 'her privates' describing both regions.
'Crotch' itself doesn't bug me--being in the med field I call them by their proper anatomical terms myself, and my friends in college took great delight in 'educating' me on all the other permutations of names for private parts just to see me blush, so I had to learn them just so I could quit getting embarrassed. Now with 2 kids I get more private part discussions than I ever wanted because they're at the age where that's just either fascinating or hilarious. Our dinner table conversation can be...interesting.
Anyway, in its context, it would be fine. I just had this jarring sensation because I was picturing this woman in a lovely dress in the middle of an opulent bedroom, and all of the sudden along comes what I consider one of the more crass terms for female anatomy and boom, my image of the scene was shot. If you used a different term that worked with the image you were creating, I would have been fine with that, too. I was fine with breasts because it doesn't carry the same negative baggage, or at least has a more pleasant connotation. If you'd used 'boobs,' then I would have had the same jarring reaction.

Sanitary tank--still makes me think of poop, sorry, since it sounds like a euphemism for a toilet tank. After hearing about all the raw sewage that went into Lake Michigan last year or the year before courtesy of Milwaukee's failed sewer system, 'sewage' and poop are probably forever linked.

You know, my son would be proud of me for all this discussion of privates and poop.

From MST3K's spoof of "Hercules Unchained"--heard as Roman medic soldiers carry off an unconscious Greek Hercules on a 1950's Army green canvas stretcher: "Hi, we're IX-I-I. Did somebody dial IX-I-I?"

Read The Adventures of Jolee Bindo and see the amazing Peep Surgery
Story WIP: The Dragonfighters
My blog: Confessions of a Geeky Mom--Latest post: Security Alerts!
Love Star Trek AND gaming? Check out Lotus Fleet.

Jae Onasi is offline   you may: quote & reply,