View Single Post
Old 05-04-2006, 10:25 AM   #111
SkinWalker
Anthropologist

LFN Staff Member 
ET, I thought at first the book title you were recommending was one that I also had read, but then I looked closer and realized it was Miller's book. The one I read moved me to write a review and post it on my blog: Dawkins' God: Genes, Memes and the Meaning of Life.

Quote:
Its only the fundamentalist branches of various religions that claim they are incompatible.
Actually, there are a number of prominent atheists that say the same thing. I happen to agree with them for the moment. Dawkins is quoted by McGrath (in the book review I linked to above) as holding the contention that the universe is either Darwinian, Lamarckian, or the result of God. Since the last two fail as explanations, the answer must be Darwinian or something we haven't thought of yet. Dawkins asserts on more than one occasion (The Blind Watchmaker, The Root of All Evil?, etc) that religion and science are not compatible. The main reason is, much in science directly discredits much in religion (Noachian flood myth, doctrine of miracles, etc.)

As a Catholic, Kenneth Miller, is a dissenting voice in science on this subject, so it will be interesting to read his book and see if it can change my mind from the arguments of Dawkins, Gould, Sagan, Daniel Dennet, and Sam Harris.

A Hot Cup of Joe - My Blog

Not finding an intellectual challenge in the Swamp? Try the Senate Chambers!

Evolution and How We Know It's Right - Post your thoughts!
Debate Strategies & Tactics - Polish your online debate skills and offer your own advice
SkinWalker is offline   you may: quote & reply,