View Single Post
Old 05-04-2006, 04:20 PM   #17
lukeiamyourdad
Using Teletraan I

LFN Staff Member 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth54
General gamers have stopped playing RTSs? Perhaps. But then, you'd have to say that the masses of people still playing StarCraft, WarCraft III and even the AoSomething games are all geeks. And trust me, you don't have to be a geek to enjoy WC3.

You do realize that we can't count the Koreans right ?
Seriously though, it isn't as much as it used to be and the golden age of the RTS is long gone. The simple fact that it's an RTS doesn't attract people anymore.

Quote:
And SW games of great quality *are* dying at the moment. The last great game we've had was KotOR 2. Commando? Short as a baby's thumb, not modable and horrible MP. Battlefront? Extremely shallow. And don't get me started on Bfront 2.
Commando was decent and you forget Lego Star Wars Both Battlefront games were also decent. Making decent games does make you survive.

Quote:
EaW is a fine game. But it simply does not have enough to secure a spot in the market. In the world of computer games, gameplay is king. LucasArts games (thus SW games) *never* bring something new to the genre. They copy bits of game A, mix it with a tad of game B, put SW skins and voilà! How can they hope to be popular with that?
*cough* Halo *cough* Hell, even Half-Life 2 was not that original (except for the awesome physics engine, but the rest was rather basic). Same goes for a lot of other games. It's very hard to stand out for any type of game.
Truth is, even KotOR is not very original. They just took existing elements and did it better then the others and you can have success with that. Assuming you do it better then the others.

Quote:
Really, I think EaW is miles ahead of Age of Star Wa... sorry Galactic Battlegrounds. But after 2 months or so, EaW's forums are dead compared to SWGB back when it came out.
Yeah, but the good folks are not around anymore. *sigh* Not that our current community isn't good, I just miss the old fellows.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wuyanxu
the space battle would be welcome, but the current way is just pefect for simplisity.
It's actually perfect. Homeworld was not very accessible to the general public because of the z axis. The learning curve was atrociously high and you spent a lot of time struggling with the camera to get "the best angle".

http://www.marioramos.ca/ -A friend of mine and an aspiring filmmaker.
lukeiamyourdad is offline   you may: quote & reply,