View Single Post
Old 06-03-2006, 03:03 AM   #256
Jae Onasi
Antiquis temporibus, nati tibi similes in rupibus ventosissimis exponebantur ad necem

Current Game: Guild Wars 2, VtMB, TOR
Alderaan News Holopics contributor Helpful! LucasCast staff Veteran Fan Fic Author 
Quote:
Originally Posted by cutmeister
A great chapter, Jae Onasi. You exhibit wonderful talent when writing Bindo stories. I don't know how you came up with that one but I found it quite enjoyable.
Me coming to your defense? That's jimbo fett 66's job, not mine. But with your martial arts skills I'm sure you're quite capable of taking care of yourself and so I'm guessing he doesn't need to "step in" very often, if at all. In any case, I just think it's important to tell someone if I think they had some attitude when I'm not sure the individual really meant to exhibit said attitude. I thought Jedi_Knight_707's post had a condescending tone to it and so I simply stated that because as you say and as I've experienced it's very difficult to pick up on any emotional cues in writing. But if nobody points it out to him how would he ever know or learn? I did notice however that he hasn't responded yet so maybe we'll never know...
You do have a point about JK707 there....
Heh, I may have a black belt now, but I'm not an idiot--guns are faster than side kicks any day, and you never know who's packing one (or knife, or other weapon). I'm not particularly fast, either, though I certainly can give a solid kick. The best way to get out of a fight, of course, is to not get in one in the first place. If there's a dangerous situation happening, I call the cops, actually.
Jimbo is more than happy to come to my defense, and has on the few occasions where he felt someone was really being nasty to his wife.

The seed for that Jolee story came from a story a friend of mine told me 3 or 4 years ago about his experience when he was on leave with a buddy of his the year Jaws came out. There's no way I could begin to explain it because you had to be there to see the hand motions and facial expressions and this guy is a master storyteller and his timing is exquisite, but I laughed so hard I was incapacitated from doubling over, I could hardly breathe, and the tears were streaming out of my eyes. I saw a post by my friend not too long ago, and I can't help but think of that story every time I see his name, and I realized that an adaptation would make a very fun Jolee story. The rest of it came about as a result of thinking "well, what would happen if Mik'oth got the snot scared out of him, and this happened? Well, then this would happen, and that would happen...."
My family has a bunch of members who have amassed a number of stories in life, a lot of them just hilarious. I talk a lot with friends and the people I see in my office, and I have heard some of the funniest, saddest, and weirdest stories, many of which are great seeds for Jolee stories. When I read some of the tlk files of Jolee's dialog, it'll trigger some ideas--'he said x, and you know, that reminds me of a story my uncle told us one time....' A lot of it is completely made up, but a small part of it has some basis in things I've heard, experienced, or seen in 'Real Life' (tm), because they're so funny or unusual that there's just no way I can improve on it, and it works well for the story.

And thanks!

From MST3K's spoof of "Hercules Unchained"--heard as Roman medic soldiers carry off an unconscious Greek Hercules on a 1950's Army green canvas stretcher: "Hi, we're IX-I-I. Did somebody dial IX-I-I?"

Read The Adventures of Jolee Bindo and see the amazing Peep Surgery
Story WIP: The Dragonfighters
My blog: Confessions of a Geeky Mom--Latest post: Security Alerts!
Love Star Trek AND gaming? Check out Lotus Fleet.

Jae Onasi is offline   you may: quote & reply,