View Single Post
Old 06-13-2006, 03:45 AM   #107
Mike.nl
Rookie

I can't fix these things if no one tells me them, people. I'm not telepathic or something

So Wildcat and darthjacob1153, if you could put your ALO files and textures on a site somewhere and PM me the link (assuming you don't want the rest of the forum to get the models), I could perhaps figure out what the problem is and fix it.
And in case you're worried, you have my word I won't give the models to others (what's my word worth? I hope enough).

And while we're on the subject of viewer weirdnesses (or as I like to call them, unintentional behavioral occurances ), I am aware there are some other issues that don't make models show up like they should (i.e. like they do in the game).

The biggest among these is the fact that I don't Z-sort transparent meshes. This is probably best visible with units with lightsabres. The lightsabre mesh is usually higher up in the list than the main body mesh, meaning that I render it before the main body mesh. And since transparent meshes don't write to the Z-buffer, the main body mesh will overwrite the light sabre on certain parts, making it seems the lightsabre is actually behind the body mesh. This create some interesting Escher-esque images

To become a little big technical here, I really should group meshes depending on the render phase they're in (indicated in their shader) and then render the phases in order while Z-sorting the meshes that should be Z-sorted.

These are all on my list of things to do, but other stuff has gotten in the way of it. I'm also working on a rather large rewrite of the viewer 'engine' because of the phases thing and because I know more about the ALO format now than when I started on the viewer. So this takes time.

But small bugfixes to the current viewer, like the textures problem, shouldn't take a lot of time (depending on the size of the bug, of course).

I have to say though, I'm rather surprised people still use the viewer now that the tools are out. I was kind of expecting people to lose interest. But as I understand it, it's because using the viewer is faster than starting the game and seeing how the unit looks in there. So for this reason I think it's important that the viewer shows the model as game-like as possible.

Whew, that's quite a post. Well, I just wanted to let you know where I am and have you know that viewer development isn't dead (rather, just proceeding very slowly).
Mike.nl is offline   you may: quote & reply,