View Single Post
Old 08-08-2006, 01:06 PM   #2
starmark2k
Someone's Worse Nightmare

LFN Staff Member Roleplayer 
Chapter 2:
Chance Encounter

Jana stared down the barrel of the hold-blaster. It was shaking as its bearer was still shaking from the pain of his recently snapped arm. The drunk man's face was red with anger as he stared at the young waitress and tried to steady his hand.

"You piece of Kung," he snarled. "You'll pay dearly for this embarrassment!"

Still working to steady his arm, he leveled the gun on Jana and was a split second away from pulling the trigger when a knife struck the side of the gun and ripped it out of the man's hand. The knife continued flying through the air, hitting a pillar near the wall and nailed the gun to it. The gun sparked where its wires and components were now exposed. The drunk, Jana, and everyone else in the bar turned to stare at the gun on the wall. Then in unison they all turned and looked at the knife's thrower.

Nic White stood holding his arm out from where he had just thrown his knife. With all eyes on him, he quickly scanned the room. Lowering his arm, he looked at the drunk whose gun had just been destroyed, finding the drunk glaring at him.

"I thought guns weren't aloud in here," Nic offered calmly.

"That was my favourite gun," the drunk protested angrily, "and you put a knife through it!"

"Piece of junk if its that easy to destroy," Jana commented.

"You're lucky it ain't ya hand," Nic told the drunk. "Now leave the girl alone."

The man appeared to have hit boiling point and breathed heavily a few times.

"KILL THEM BOTH!!!" The man shouted to his four friends behind him. The other four men stood up and split into two pairs, each pair walked towards either Jana or Nic. Everyone in the bar moved away from Nic and Jana so they wouldn't get involved in the impending violence. Nic began to back up slowly putting both his hands out in front of him.

"Oh, c'mon! This is hardly fair," Nic complained as the men got closer and closer. Ignoring his words, they continued to advance and he continued to retreat. Before long, they'd backed him up against a wall.

"Seen you a couple times I come here before," one of the men told Jana, smiling intently as he grabbed a bottle and smashed it to form a stabbing weapon. The young waitress took the tray in both hands and waited for the men to get closer.

"Less talk, more fight," Jana told him. "Unless you're scared of me."

That was too much. The man with the broken bottle lunged, stabbing the bottle toward Jana's torso. Jana moved the tray downward, using it as a shield to repel the sharp glass. Then, she quickly raised the tray high and to the right and drove it hard against the man's head. His entire body twisted around at the impact and he fell to the floor hitting, his head on a table's edge.

The second man then charged at Jana while she recovered from the swing, but she was prepared. Using a little of her own strength and a lot of his momentum, Jana lashed out with her foot, connecting with his stomach. In pain, he moaned bent over, clutching his stomach. Jana raised the tray above her head and smashed it down on the thug's head, knocking him senseless to the ground.

Nic was not doing so well with his two thugs. One of them had grabbed him from behind and held his arms back while the other punched his stomach, chest, and face. Nic quickly raised both his legs up, putting all his weight on the man who had grabbed him from behind. He pushed his legs out at the man who was punching him to knock him back and the force of his kick threw the man holding him back into the wall, causing him to loose his grip on Nic. Now free, Nic began punching the stunned thug.

The second thug righted himself and began to walk forward to grab Nic, but he was stopped by a light tap on his shoulder. He turned in time to see Jana's fingers driving toward his throat. With no time to react, the thug staggered back, choking. At this, Jana's had quickly balled into a fist and drove into his face, knocking him out cold.

Meanwhile, Nic continued punching the final thug, who slowly slid down the wall to the floor, groaning. Now finished, Nic turned around and saw Jana standing over the unconscious body of the man who had been hitting him.

"Thanks for your help," Jana said to Nic as the drunk whose arm she'd broken came up silently behind her. Nic grabbed a bottle on a table near him and threw it the drunk's head, knocking him out.

"Glad to help," Nic answered, moving past Jana to grab his knife from the wall. Once he pulled it out he turned back to face her. Instead of Jana, he found himself face to face with the red-faced Fitsy.

"It's people like you who make my business run like Bantha poodoo!" he screamed. "Get out! Now!"

Nic flashed a smile in Jana's direction as he headed for the door and Fitsy glared at him for a moment before wheeling on Jana.

"And you," he snapped. "I should've known you'd be trouble. From the second you walked in, I should've known! But I won't take it any more, Vincent. You're fired!"

Jana grinned at him, causing him to wonder if he'd heard her.

"Did you hear me?" he screamed. "Fired!"

"There's only one thing that'll make this day better, Fitsy," Jana said. She kicked him in the groin and he doubled over. Then, she moved over to the register and took several credit chips from it. From where Fitsy was, he couldn't see what she was doing. Coming back to him, she dropped a few credit chips in front of his face.

"For damages and lost business," she said, knowing very well she was paying him with his own money. She'd taken enough that she'd still stolen a sizable amount from Fitsy. Nic, who'd stayed long enough to see this, chuckled. Then, he retrieved his things from the clerk and headed out, smiling to himself.

"What am I going to do now?" he whispered to himself.

"Hold up!" Jana called, just coming out of the Cantina and tucking her blaster into her belt. Nic stopped and turned, waiting for her to catch up.

"I was hoping I could repay you for helping me out back there," she said, holding up some credits. She grinned. "Dinner's on Fitsy."

"You don't have to spend your 'well earned' money," Nic chuckled. "Besides, It seems you can handle yourself... looked that way from where I was getting beat up."

"It's the thought that counts," Jana insisted, still slightly joking. "And now that I lost my job, I really don't have anything to do."

"Yeah, I heard," Nic said, looking around. "Sorry for my part in that." He spotted another cantina. "There's another cantina over there... I guess you can buy me drink, if you insist, Short Stuff."

"Hey!" she snapped, clearly annoyed. "My name's Jana. And don't think I know you well enough yet I won't hesitate to beat you up too!"

"C'mon," Nic grinned, nodding his head toward the other cantina. Shaking her head slowly, Jana followed him.

-------------------------------------

Nic and Jana sat at a side booth near the back of the cantina as they had agreed it would be best to lay low after the incident at Fitsy's an hour ago. They both had alcoholic beverages in front of them and were taking sips while making conversation as best as two strangers could. Despite the fact that they had just met an hour earlier, they were obviously enjoying the company, discussing their lives and work.

"So Nic," Jana said after a short silence. "What kind of jobs does a freelance mercenary take?" She took another sip of her drink.

"Whatever pays really," he answered thoughtfully. "One day I can be on Nar Shaddaa on a treasure hunt. The next I could be on Talus defending some rich guy's estate from a ticked-off Sullustan." He chuckled. "That was an interesting week."

Jana laughed. "So what are you doing now?"

Nic thought for a few moments before answering, "At the moment, I'm on the market."

"Which equals unemployed," Jana commented with a slight smile. "I should know... I've used the term before as well."

"Well, I somewhat prefer the way I said it but, pretty much, yeah," Nic agreed.

"Well, I guess we have something in common more than just getting on Fitsy's bad side, then," Jana remarked, her smile growing. Nic chuckled.

"That we do," he agreed. Looking down at his drink, he noticed it was empty. "Fitsy have more credits to give us?"

Jana laughed, but before she could answer, Nic stood.

"Well, it was nice meeting you," he said, straightening his clothes, "but I should get going."

"What are you going to do now?" Jana wondered, looking up at him.

"There ain't much chance of getting work here," he answered. "So I'm going to get a refugee freighter out to one of the outer rim stations. Take care of yourself... as I know so well you can."

He moved away from the table and Jana watched him go for a moment. Making a quick decision, Jana jumped up to chase him.

"Hey!" she called to get Nic's attention. He turned to look at her and she hesitated. Finally, she said, "I know we've only just met but..."

Nic grinned. "C'mon Short Stuff," he said, a wide grin on his face as he flicked his head toward the door. Jana grabbed her things from the booth and rejoined Nic. He moved to walk out, but she caught his arm.

"It's Jana," she insisted. He grinned.

"I know."
starmark2k is offline   you may: