Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: In my secret dungeon...
specific forum rules
In addition to the general forum rules, here are some guidelines and rules that apply to some specific forums:
I. Editing (Modding) Forums:
- T3-M4's Astromech Droid Center
This forum is for the discussion of modding tools only. It allows you to ask questions, troubleshoot, and make comments or suggestions to the authors of the tools. If you have questions regarding how to create or install mods, please visit the Holowan laboratories forums.
- Taris Upper City Emporium
This forum is reserved for modders to announce their new mod releases and for visitors to give them feedback. In other words, it's a showroom and nothing else.
This forum is only for announcing the mods you already released, not for future mods or works-in-progress.
Please follow these rules when announcing your mods:
• 1 released mod=1 thread . Please do not make a single thread for all of your mods. This rule is designed to help people find what they are looking for when they use the search function. Please use descriptive titles.
• Don't forget to mention whether your mod is for KotOR 1 or Kotor 2 TSL. We suggest you add [K1] or [TSL] at the start of the title when you start a new thread.
• Please direct any discussions concerning your future mods, WIP, previews, and so on to Holowan Laboratories.
• Please have a working download link before you post a thread here, this will help alleviate any ruffled feathers concerning certain sites and any possible unfortunate delays in their approval processes.
If you want the moderators to move your old Holowan labs release threads over here, just post a request and a link in this thread: http://www.lucasforums.com/showthread.php?t=152044
Don't forget to check our Weekly mod releases report published every weekend on our website, StarWarsKnights.com.
To other visitors:
Leave your feedback! It's important: it encourages modders to continue bringing you mods, and it helps them make better mods in the future.
Please do not start a new thread about a mod that is not yours. This forum is to leave your feedback on specific mods.
If you need help about a mod that is not yours and there is no thread here, please post your question at Holowan Laboratories.
If there’s a mod you’d like but don’t see here, post a request in the modding requests subforum, located at Holowan Labs.
Posts that comment on the ease of the mod or the type of compression used (zip, rar, 7z, etc.) are considered spam and will be deleted at the moderator’s discretion. If you do not know how to decompress .zip, .rar or .7z files, see the How to install mods thread and post your questions there.
If you would like to learn about modding, visit Holowan Laboratories. Contrary to what many believe, modding is not reserved to some uber computer geeks. Everyone willing can learn to mod, no matter the age and background.
Don't forget to check our Weekly mod releases report published every weekend on our website, StarWarsKnights.com.
- Holowan Laboratories
1. Check if your question has already been asked
Most likely if you have a question, it has been asked before. Please use the Search Feature to see if this is true in your case. The search button is at the top of the page. Also, if you are just getting started into modding, please check the locked tutorial forums at the top of the main Holowan Labs page (General tutorials + tools, skinning and modeling, .2da editing and scripting). There is a ton of information there to help get you started. It is a lot easier to get help when you have played around a bit with the tools and can ask specific questions.
2. Your topic should be about modding Knights of the Old Republic
There are many other forums to discuss other topics. Please try and limit the discussion in this forum to modifying Knights of the Old Republic. It is what you came here for, right? Other topics will be either moved, locked or deleted.
3. Use descriptive thread titles
When starting a new thread, please use a title that specifically describes what it’s about. This helps to attract people who are interested, and it allows those who aren't to steer clear. Titles such as "Help!", "What do I do?", and "Question" are not helpful.
4.Put your modding requests in the modding requests forum
If you have an idea that you would like to see implemented but cannot create the mod yourself, or cannot find the mod you are looking for, please post it in the modding requests forums. This way, those who wish to see what people are looking for can go to one place. This helps keep the forum more organized.
5. Get permission before using someone elses work
Most modders have no problem with people using some or all of their work for other projects, but some do. As a courtesy to the authors of other mods, please get permission to use their work with your own. This will prevent any hard feelings. Threads that discuss/link to mods that use other mods without permission will be locked and the links to said mods removed.
6. Do not post links to files that have a lot of pictures or are very large
Believe it or not, half the people out there in cyberspace still use 56k dialup. Pages with lots of large pictures can take a long time to load and they can affect the forum layout. This can be very frustrating if someone only wants to read a few posts. Moderators reserve the right to edit posts containing a large size or number of pictures. If you do not want to reduce the size of your pics, then post a simple link and avoid using the [IMG] tag.
7. Mods containing assets (models, textures, sounds, etc.) ported from another game are prohibited
It is against Lucasarts policy to port assets from one game to another. Holowan Laboratories does not condone porting of this nature, and moderators will close or delete any thread or posts discussing such mods, even if it is for your own personal use. The exception to this is if the asset in question is present in both KOTOR and TSL. Modders may create from scratch mods that resemble assets from another game.
8. When asking a question, state which game (KOTOR or TSL) it is about
To make it easier for other members to help you and avoid confusion, please state which game your question concerns if you ask about something. While KOTOR and TSL are fairly similar from a modding perspective there are some significant differences in how certain things are done, and some things may be possible to do in one game but not the other.
- Modding requests:
Is there a KotOR or TSL mod you would like to see but don't know how to make it or don't have the time? You can post your modding requests in this forum and perhaps someone will make that mod for you.
Please note that modding can seem a bit intimidating at the beginning, but it is accessible to everyone. You don’t need to be a computer geek to start modding. If you want to try, check some tutorials and just ask your questions on the general Holowan Labs boards. Our members will be happy to help you out...and don't be afraid to ask those n00bish questions. Everyone has to start somewhere.
However, you must understand that modding is usually a hobby that people do in their spare time. They have other occupations, so there is no guarantee that someone will be able to fulfill your request. There could also be some technical or legal restrictions that prevent people from making that mod. When you make a request, please keep this in mind.
The rules for this forum are simple.
1. The forum is solely for the discussion of mod requests. Any other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum or deleted at moderator discretion. If you have technical questions, please ask them in the general Holowan Labs forums.
2. Before you make a request, please check the Where can I find mods? stuck thread and LucasFiles KotOR/TSL sections to see if it has already been made.
3. When you make your request, use a descriptive thread title and explain clearly what you want to be done. Take the time to think about what you would like to see. You’re the one making the request, but if someone chooses to make it they will need as much information about it as possible. Also consider that it takes time and effort to make a mod, and your request should involve thought and effort on your part as well.
4. DO NOT request porting any resources from another game into KotOR. This includes porting resources from TSL to KotOR and vice versa. Taking copyrighted and proprietary materials from another game or media and using them in KotOR mods will not be tolerated. This includes music mods using copyrighted tracks. Any discussions about this will be closed or deleted, even if it is for your own personal use.
5. Finally, be respectful towards other members. A little "thank you" helps.
6. Don’t ask "Why?" to a request. Please keep your posts limited to whether or not the mod is possible and how it can be done. Cluttering a thread can make it hard for the requester and/or the modder to keep tabs on progress.
If you would like to scan the old request threads or ongoing discussion, you can find them here:
Request thread 1
Request thread 2
Request thread 3
Request thread 4
Request thread 5
II. Community forums
- Coruscant Entertainment Centre
1. Thread hijacking
Please do not post advertisements for your fic in someone else’s thread. Do not ask people in other fics or threads to review your fic. Posts containing this kind of advertising will be now be deleted or edited at moderator discretion.
2. No Posting In Threads Labeled With A [FIN]
Please refrain from posting in all threads labled with a [FIN]. [FIN] is used to denote threads of fics that are free of comments and are ready (or nearly ready) to be moved to The Jedi Archives by the moderators or adminstrators. Any posts other than the author’s in these [FIN] threads will be deleted. If too many posts are made by an individual, it will be considered a form of spam. Thank you for your cooperation.
Plagiarizing will not be tolerated. The definition of plagiarism is taking someone else’s art or story (in total or part) and saying it is your own. Using someone else’s work without giving them proper credit is also plagiarism. You must clearly identify your source when you cite it in order to give the author or artist proper credit. Posts containing plagiarized material may be edited or deleted at moderator discretion. Members who plagiarize may be banned.
- Dantooine Theatre Company
1. Threads discussing RPG (role playing game) issues are allowed, but threads that advertise other RPG sites are not allowed. Threads that advertise other sites will be edited or deleted at moderator discretion. General threads that belong in the Ahto Spaceport Cantina or other StarWarsKnights.com forums will be closed or moved to the appropriate forum.
2. The Dantooine Theater Company forum rules are simple:
This forum is for RPGs and stories.
However, you need an actual story, please. Again, in the words of one of our admins, matt:
Any threads that violate this rule will be closed.
No one word stories, and please keep away from the one-sentence ones. I would hardly classify those as roleplaying.
3. Don't spam. Spam is a post that has no point or does not contribute to the discussion. Spammy threads will be closed. Spammy posts will be edited or deleted. Also note that one-sentence posts and one-liner posts are also now considered to be Spam. If you have problems RP'ing this way, then just interject some creativity. Spammers will be warned or have their posts edited or deleted at moderator discretion.
4.Try not to double-post. It clutters up the thread. Use the Edit button to add new thoughts to your current post. Double posts may either be merged or deleted.
Some RPG-Specific Guidelines and Rules
All RP's are now required to have a Thread Master. A Thread Master helps to control the plot of their RP and moderate it to a certain extent. A Thread Master has the following rights:
• A Thread Master sets the plot and has the right to keep everyone on the same plot. Anybody that attempts to deviate from the plot or just downright shifts it can be dealt with either by the Thread Master or a moderator.
• A Thread Master has the right to control how powerful certain characters are. If the Thread Master desires to use an Attributes system to have further control, they may do so.
• A Thread Master has the right to determine the outcome of specific attacks and battles.
If a Thread Master has problems with certain individuals, he or she can notify a moderator for assistance in solving the issue.
If you do not believe the Thread Master is being fair, then notify a moderator.
Above all, be smart and fair in any judgment you make.
1. No godmoding. This essentially means:
Originally posted by obi-wan13
This applies to things as well as beings. The only time you can do this is if it is specifically allowed in that particular thread. Otherwise, it can ruin an RPG. If this happens, it will either be ignored or deleted upon request.
"I am all-powerful, all knowing, omnipotent being and I can whoop everything on Earth"
2. No character controlling. This is a special category of godmoding. Do not control what someone else's character does, says, or thinks without prior permission. Without such consent, this is godmoding.
3. Follow the thread rules. Usually the Thread Master will post rules for that RPG in the first post. Always read and follow those rules and guidelines. Also keep in mind that the Thread Master has final say in what is godmoding. Of course, they're not infallible, but it's their RPG. If a group of people is running a thread, as sometimes happens, then try to work things out nicely. Flame wars and arguments will not be tolerated.
4. Please participate. Stories die if no one does anything. Don't post once, then leave. Likewise, it's not terribly courteous for the Thread Master to vanish in the middle of a story for no reason. Stories die without the storytellers. In addition, RPs must have a minimum of three active RPers. Any less, and you're better off writing a fanfic.
-keep the language "t"-rated.
-you can insult other characters "in-character", but avoid insulting the real person behind that character.
III. KotOR 1 and 2 gaming/troubleshooting forums
These rules apply to the following forums:
Telos Tourist Bureau
The Work Bench
Ebon Hawk's Machine Room
• All threads containing major spoilers must be identified by typing [SPOILERS] in the title of the thread. This warns those who haven't completed the game so they can steer away from that thread so the story isn’t spoiled for them. Do not post spoilers in thread titles, no matter where the thread is located on the boards.
• Posts containing spoilers will have to use spoiler tags [/spoiler] so that the text containing the spoiler is blanked out. The code for the spoiler tags is:
[spoiler]Spoiler goes here[/spoiler]
For more info on using the tags, see: http://lucasforums.com/misc.php?do=bbcode
Now, you have no excuse not to use those tags.
Last edited by RedHawke; 03-12-2009 at 02:24 AM.