View Single Post
Old 08-13-2006, 10:31 PM   #71
Darth Andrew
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TK-8252
On the topic of Jesus, he was the one who told his followers never to pray or worship in front of other people! He said to "pray in a closet." He called the Jews "hypocrites" because they loved to pray on street corners and in synagogues.

And yet Christians do the very same thing, even want prayer in public schools. Sigh.
Sigh.

Taken way out of context. Here's the original verse:
Quote:
Matthew 6:5-6: "And when thou prayest, thou shalt not be as the hypocrites are: for they love to pray standing in the synagogues and in the corners of the streets, that they may be seen of men....when thou prayest, enter into thy closet and when thou has shut thy door, pray to thy Father which is in secret...."
Also, here's a site that helps to explain it (also where I got the verse): http://www.religioustolerance.org/prayer.htm

On organized religion, I see it that people want to not feel alone in their worship and find people who also believe in their ideas. Plus, it can help people to grow in their spirituality, where solely praying alone would feel less fulfilling and keep them "in a closet". That's how I see it, anyway.
Darth Andrew is offline   you may: quote & reply,