View Single Post
Old 08-14-2006, 02:08 AM   #24
lukeiamyourdad
Using Teletraan I

LFN Staff Member 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth54
The category is called "strategy". Not "RTS". Fire Emblem is more like turn-based RPG anyway.
Fire Emblem is very similar to Final Fantasy Tactics, in it being a turn-based RPG...with some strategic element.
I do wonder what its doing there considering the facts.

However, although Civ is considered as a strategy game, I believe the reason why it wasn't there was because it was mainly a management game. All of the games nominated had focus on war or combat. Civ 4 however, does not. It tries to do everything in one package, though the combat still leaves the battlefield commanders inside of us with a certain thirst for blood.

By the way, 2005-2006 indeed has been a lousy year for RTS in general. Us gamers got served with rather average titles, none being addicting or bringing something truly new. Considering the amazing 2004-2005 year (Rome:Total War, Dawn of War), it's clear that the quality did go down.

Just look at the games that came out. AoE3 was a continuation of Age of Mythology's focus on MP, leaving realism and epicness out of the game in order to satiate the lust of the MP community for competitive game. Infortunately, MP is not everything and dissing SP for MP is just as dumb as dissing MP for SP. They took out the epic element out of the Age serie after AoE2 and they made it nonexistent in AoE3. The only good thing in AoE3? Soldiers don't hack down brick walls with their swords anymore.

BFMEII is a poor excuse of EA to make us fork out some cash to buy their update for BFMEI that they never released. BFMEI could have used balance patches, modification to certain elements and the game would've been perfect. Instead, gamers got this lousy sequel to a very average game. True, there are improvements, but it doesn't make it better, at least not worth the full price of a game that should be an expansion pack.

Then comes E@W, which is pretty average too. Galactic Conquest and the Campaigns are fun for a while, the MP is non-existent or largely broken, skirmish mode isn't that interesting, the ground combat needs serious improvement. Its main redeeming point is the space combat which is quite spectacular. When there's lots of actions on screen, it gets really intense and is an exilerating joyride. The maps need to be bigger and the pop cap higher, at least for SP. Good thing that compared to BFMEII, the community gets really good support through patching and the like. Granted, some choices they made in the patches are debatable, but I applaud their efforts in supporting the game, even when the expansion was announced. Compared to EA, Petroglyph is doing an amazing job. For that alone, they deserve the prize.

http://www.marioramos.ca/ -A friend of mine and an aspiring filmmaker.
lukeiamyourdad is offline   you may: quote & reply,