View Single Post
Old 08-23-2006, 06:40 PM   #2
Good Sir Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by TK-8252
What ever happened to American values? What ever happened to due process of law? What ever happened to "innocent until proven guilty"?

http://youtube.com/watch?v=rA_UrLl_vhU

Watch that clip; it's Stephen Colbert debating... himself... on the issue of GITMO. Sums up the debate very well.

To be honest I'm not so worried about the issues of sleep deprivation and extreme temperatures as I am about the chance of innocent people being locked up. I don't trust the government to know who's a terrorist. I really don't. Government is incompetent as hell, and that's why there have to be checks and balances. If government was a perfect system then an authoritarian dictatorship would be ideal... but government is flawed and couldn't be farther from perfection.

It must be accepted that if you want to live in a free society, you cannot also live in a safe society. If you want to live in an authoritarian society that gives the state the authority to lock up whoever it wants to, then move to Cuba. But we give people the presumption of innocence... no matter if they were found in Afghanistan or in the U.S.
First shouldn't this be in the Gitmo thread where it belongs?

My reasons for not caring are these --->

1. When you have a loved one serving in Afganistan, it's hard to care for their well being..let alone petition for their fair treatment.

2. They are not soldiers from a recognized military, they are not combatants from a Geneva signatory, they do not have papers and they did not have a uniform.

3. I don't think they're being tortured like other people are being tortured around the world so again it's a little hard to care.

Also they released this little Canadian punk that killed a US Army Medic with a hand grenade. So they didn't have all the proof in the world, it's a battlefield after all.... but the Canadians will release him soon as their Muslim population is all up in arms.

So again I couldn't care less about them, even if there are mistakes there.

You also have to look at your definition of torture, everyone has a different perspective.

Last edited by Good Sir Knight; 08-23-2006 at 06:51 PM.
Good Sir Knight is offline   you may: quote & reply,