View Single Post
Old 09-01-2006, 07:56 PM   #69
lukeiamyourdad
Using Teletraan I

LFN Staff Member 
Quote:
Originally Posted by TK-8252
No one seems to have addressed my post asking if an Iranian attack on NYC would be justified under the same circumstances as Hiroshima and Nagasaki.
Not really. Full-fledged war that has been going one for 6 years and on the other side, political tension between two countries.

Quote:
Right, because our enemies were defeated. We didn't have to continue acting as fanatics. But setting up our own concentration camps and then nuking their civilians does not seem like a very civilized thing to me. Or am I just a crazy fool.
What do the concentration camps have to do with anything? We're talking about the nuclear bombings of Hiroshima and Nagasaki. Besides, every soldier and officer who tried to stay civilized in that madness has already been killed.

Besides, the concentration camps were made in the middle of the war, not near the end, so in no way could you say that we continued to act like fanatics. The war was not totally over, so the people were kept in camps. I'm not saying that it was a good idea. It's paranoid and stupid, but you make it sound like it was common practice decades after the war was over.

Quote:
The "shock and awe" on Saddam's regime seemed to work to get the Iraqi military to - for the most part - lay down their arms and surrender. Why? Because they were a weak force that didn't stand a chance. Even though they're crazy totalitarians, they seemed to surrender quite promptly. Didn't even have to nuke all of Baghdad.
Iraqi =/ Japanese
Iraqi way of thinking =/ Japanese way of thinking

Quote:
Sounds like the very same justification that Israel used to slaughter the citizens of Lebanon. "Oh we're not targetting the people of Lebanon, just where Hezbollah hides their weapons. It just happens to be that their weapons are under the beds of children."
Guerilla warfare where the civilians do not openly support arms and ammunitions to their group, where not all of them support Hezbollah, where said armed group is not even under the control of the local government =/ Imperial Japan where every citizen took part, in a way or another to the war effort, where factories in open sight made weapons to support the army

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emperor Devon
The fire bombings targetted the military. No idiot would be stupid enough to waste effort attacking the civilians instead of the military. Such acts help far less than destroying factories and military bases.
Actually, bombing civilians was done to cripple the enemy's morale. It happened. It was not widespread, but it happened.

http://www.marioramos.ca/ -A friend of mine and an aspiring filmmaker.
lukeiamyourdad is offline   you may: quote & reply,