View Single Post
Old 10-18-2006, 09:23 AM   #8
Prime
Am I a truck or robot?

Current Game: Skyrim, Macross PS2
10 year veteran! LF Jester Veteran Modder Helpful! 
Quote:
Originally Posted by stoffe -mkb-
Games not released by Microsoft will most likely support DirectX 9 and/or OpenGL for quite some time (though with the DX10-specific features being disabled). It would be financial suicide for anyone else to release a product requiring DX10 since most of the customer base won't trip over themselves to get a new DX10-compatible graphics card and Windows Vista the second they become available. (Though I have no doubt some hardcore gamers will. ) That neither is particularily cheap doesn't exactly encourage a mass switch either.
Exactly. It is the consumers that will determine when "the switch" will occur. Sure, companies will push for it, but they are all to aware that doing so early can lead to disaster.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stoffe -mkb-
(That and I tend to go by "If it's not broken then don't fix it" when it comes to computers. As long as my Windows XP install runs fine and remains stable and can handle pretty much anything I need to do I see no reason to go through the enormous amount of work and headache a OS reinstallation tend to be.)
That's how I operate as well, although my machine is old enough now that it can't really run new stuff.

Prime is offline   you may: quote & reply,